"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 03:58:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Instru-metal

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instru-metal  (Read 1063 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »

Some of my favorite heavy metal material is instrumental.

In the late 90s Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci, & Jordan Rudess teamed up with legendary bass player, Tony Levin, and recorded 2 albums as Liquid Tension Experiment.  The music is an interesting mix of metal, prog rock, and even some jazz fusion thrown in for good measure.  Given that 3/4ths of the band were members of Dream Theater these albums basically sound like instrumental Dream Theater (in other words, a real treat for those who enjoy the musicianship of Dream Theater but aren't exactly keen on the vocals of James LaBrie, which even I tend to believe is better in small measured dosages).

A few years later a third CD, Liquid Trio Experiment was released.  This was all material recorded by Portnoy, Rudess, and Levin while John Petrucci was with his wife who was giving birth to one of his children during the sessions for one of the first 2 CDs.  This CD is also thoroughly enjoyable although without Petruccis' participation it's not quite as good.

And lastly, John Petrucci released an exceptional instrumental solo album, Suspended Animation featuring much of the material he wrote and performed on his various G3 tours with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and other notable guitarists.

Speaking of Joe Satriani, I must give an honorable mention to his song Ceremony off of his Crystal Planet album.  The rest of the album doesn't do a lot for me... but that song really cooks!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:43:06 am »

That's because you don't have to listen to the atrocious, screaming vocals which is what made metal so hard for me to take. 
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:29 am »

That's because you don't have to listen to the atrocious, screaming vocals which is what made metal so hard for me to take. 

Dream Theater's lead vocalist is operatically trained.  I actually don't mind him in small doses.  But I am finding I tend to prefer their instrumental material.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »

Here's one of my favorite songs by Liquid Tension Experiment, Another Dimension being performed live... gotta love Levin on the Chapman Stick:

And the somewhat more understated State of Grace:
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:27:57 pm »

...how 'bout APOCOLYPTICA??  Familiar??  A Cello quartet who does METALLICA COVERS...??  They are amazing.

And, although not ALL of their stuff is instrumental, I dig TRANS SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA...especially "CHRISTMAS EVE-SARAJEVO" from CHRISTMAS EVE AND OTHER STORIES.  It is NOT CHRISTMAS until I hear this on the radio...VERY, VERY LOUD.  That is one of the most haunting, powerful, amazing pieces of music.  And, CAROL OF THE BELLS is one of my very (and, believe me, I MAJORLY DISLIKE Christmas music...very, VERY few songs make the grade.  IT'S RETAIL.  It makes you the Grinch, or Scrooge or fill in the blank.  heh.  Other than A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS, and CHI's version of LET IT SNOW, yeah, even with Lee singin' it!) favorite pieces of Christmas music.

And...SURFIN' WITH THE ALIEN by Joe Satriani is a nice album...LOVE IT!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum