"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 04:55:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

from movies

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: from movies  (Read 3418 times)
Packercracker

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »

I've always liked a lot of David Foster's movie scores. Oddly enough, I don't usually like the movies they're in. Stealing Home  stands out- great score, lousy film.  Secret of My Success- decent film, another great score. I especially like Water Fountain. And love the movie montage from his Rechordings album. 

I don't know who composed it, but there's also some really good tracks in the film Life as a House. Someone did a nearly perfect job of blending it in, not too loud or overbearing- but just there, adding to the story.

Aside from the obvious (John Williams) what other instrumentals make/break/top the film they were in?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »

John Barry has done some that are at least equal to the movies he was scoring and in other cases superior to the films he was scoring... Somewhere in Time, An Indecent Proposal, Walkabout, Born Free, and Frances all come to mind as exceptional scores.

Ennio Morricone has also done some brilliant film scores most of which have been for Sergio Leone (all those spaghetti westerns) and Ennio Morricone (best known for Cinema Paradiso).

And there's a moving bit in Love Actually by Craig Armstrong called Glasgow Love Theme or something like that.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:12:35 am »

John Barry has done some that are at least equal to the movies he was scoring and in other cases superior to the films he was scoring... Somewhere in Time, An Indecent Proposal, Walkabout, Born Free, and Frances all come to mind as exceptional scores.

Ennio Morricone has also done some brilliant film scores most of which have been for Sergio Leone (all those spaghetti westerns) and Ennio Morricone (best known for Cinema Paradiso).

And there's a moving bit in Love Actually by Craig Armstrong called Glasgow Love Theme or something like that.

Gotta add Danny Elfman and Mark Isham to that list, and BITD, Vangelis; all pretty prolific at different times/movies. 

It's too bad you can't always get the score...yeah, usually a soundtrack, but they don't always release a score.   What's even more annoying is when they use a song in the trailer...and it's not in the movie...it's just a teaser track for the trailer...OY.  No, "O Fortuna" from "Carmina Burana" isn't in that movie...but it looks like it COULD BE...heh. 
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:10 pm »

Gotta add Danny Elfman and Mark Isham to that list, and BITD, Vangelis; all pretty prolific at different times/movies. 

Funny thing with Mark Isham... he was briefly a member of The Sons of Champlin.  He performed on their s/t 1975 album and possibly one or both of the ones that came after it (I don't have the liner notes, I'd have to dig them out and check).

He has an instrumental piece on that s/t album titled Planet Ripper, interesting stuff.

Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:21 am »

Isham is an excellent straight ahead jazz trumpeter when he's in that bag, unlike New Age pianist George Winston, who sounds clumsy and laughable when he tries to play that kind of music.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:45 pm »

The legendary Sam Spence of NFL Films fame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHpn_VQMWE&feature=related

(With the voice of God, John Facenda):

And Johnny Pearson's theme, "Heavy Action" which is far more familar under a different name...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ8f9LPks_4&playnext=1&videos=rCiDGYyp1tc
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum