"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 05:56:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Solo Beatles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Solo Beatles  (Read 1712 times)
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:34 pm »

No doubt there are probably some huge Beatles fans on this board, as the membership of the Chicago board has joined up here and some were fans.  What is you opinion of The Beatles as solo artists?  Who do you think was best or most consistent?  Let me know and then I'll weigh in.

I'm one of those huge Beatles fans, and I'm just too young to remember the group, so my first exposure to all of them was as solo artists.

John: Great lyrics, if a little too political at times. "Working Class Hero" is one of his best lyrics even though it's really upsetting. Should have chosen his collaborators a little better (heh heh - does anyone like to listen to Yoko?). So much lost potential - what would he have done in the 80s?

George: Love, love, love All Things Must Pass, even with the too-long jam side. He introduced me to the dobro before I knew what it was. Where John got a little too political, George had the tendency to get a little too mystical. "This Song" is my favorite song of his nobody remembers.

Ringo: Ringo is Ringo; probably his best stuff was in the early 70s when George was helping him out. I love "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph" both of which were written by George.

Paul: Paul solo and with Wings was a lot like the little girl with the curl: When he was good, he was very very good, and when he was bad, he was horrid. Paul got away with an awful lot just because he was Paul; on the other hand, there are very few solo songs of his I don't like. "Let 'Em In" is one of his worst, but he makes up for it with "Another Day" and "Listen To What The Man Said" and "Mull of Kintyre" and "With a Little Luck" and "Girlfriend" and "Here Today" and "Take It Away" and "My Brave Face" and "The World Tonight," etc. etc. etc. Is Paul one of the greatest melody writers ever?
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum