"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 29, 2024, 05:02:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Similarities between Rockabilly & Hair Metal

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Similarities between Rockabilly & Hair Metal  (Read 3819 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

K. That's why I asked for clarification on the glam rock label... because while 70s bands used make-up (KISS, Bowie) I really associate that glam look to the Poisons, Motley Crew, Whitesnake look that was the beginning of the hair band era.

A lot of the British bands really seemed to pull their rock out of the blues sound -i.e. Led Zepplin... so I've felt that a lot of rock bands tried to imitate Zepplin more than anyone else.

Meanwhile Led Zeppelin were imitating many of their forebears-- Stairway to Heaven was borne out of an instrumental piece, Taurus recorded by the band Spirit they also heavily borrowed from an obscure Ritchie Valens track, Oo My Head in one of their songs.  That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »

K. That's why I asked for clarification on the glam rock label... because while 70s bands used make-up (KISS, Bowie) I really associate that glam look to the Poisons, Motley Crew, Whitesnake look that was the beginning of the hair band era.

A lot of the British bands really seemed to pull their rock out of the blues sound -i.e. Led Zepplin... so I've felt that a lot of rock bands tried to imitate Zepplin more than anyone else.

Meanwhile Led Zeppelin were imitating many of their forebears-- Stairway to Heaven was borne out of an instrumental piece, Taurus recorded by the band Spirit they also heavily borrowed from an obscure Ritchie Valens track, Oo My Head in one of their songs.  That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Led Zeppelin seems to be the alpha and the omega for white rock fans from their inception through today.  I never got them or what all the fuss was/is about and I say this as a lead guitar player.  My sticking point is Robert Plant's vocals: I just do NOT like his voice, at all.  But yeah, so many bands copped their style.  The band that first leaps to mind is Heart!  Ann Wilson has often cited Zeppelin and Plant as everything she wanted Heart to be and no, I can't take a lot of her voice either, although I generally enjoy female vocalists a ton.

I was on a totally different planet in high school (1974-1978).  All of the non-band kids were Zeppelin, Zeppelin, Zeppelin 24/7.  I was always more into funk bands like TOP, E,W&F, James Brown, Brother Ray, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, jazz/rock stuff like Chicago & B,S&T, Jethro Tull, Latin rock like Santana and Malo and fusion such as Weather Report and Miles Davis.  Maybe playing in interracial bands had something to do with it, maybe not.  I dunno.  But even when it came to metal stuff, I liked Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore on lead guitar a LOT more than Page.  To me, he blew Page out of the water and he and keyboardist Jon Lord had a real jazz improvisational touch to their soloing and trading solos back and forth. To me Zeppelin was always Plant screaming bare chested and Page messing with the violin bow, all theatrics.  *DUCKS*

I didn't (and still don't like) Lynard Skynard, either, although "Sweet Home Alabama" seems to be the theme song of my Southwest Chicago Suburban parish!  Go figure!  The Kid Rock thing "All Summer Long" is the other big thing there because it contains samples from SHA.  Yuck.  Yeah, I'm WAAYYY weird, but aren't all musicians?  LOL!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »

Skynyrd is country rock and blues kicked up a notch... I despise "Freebird" (due to overplay), but things like "Simple Man", "On The Hunt", "Gimmie Three Steps", "Call Me The Breeze", "Ballad of Curtis Lowe"... are really the keys to Skynyrd.

But I know a lot of people who hate them too. Doesn't bother me in the least.

I went through my Zeppelin phase.... and yeah, it's because of what came out of Led Zeppelin -even down to the theatrics of what goes on stage when playing live, has set the stage for what everyone else had to do to be considered a rock band.

The funny thing, saxman, is that I loved motown and Zeppelin... country and Skynryd... Rush and Chicago.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »

Led Zeppelin seems to be the alpha and the omega for white rock fans from their inception through today.  I never got them or what all the fuss was/is about and I say this as a lead guitar player.  My sticking point is Robert Plant's vocals: I just do NOT like his voice, at all.  But yeah, so many bands copped their style.  The band that first leaps to mind is Heart!  Ann Wilson has often cited Zeppelin and Plant as everything she wanted Heart to be and no, I can't take a lot of her voice either, although I generally enjoy female vocalists a ton.

I've never been huge into Zeppelin.  I dig the song Kashmir and while I enjoyed Stairway to Heaven initially, when it reached the point of over-saturation I lost interest.  For female singers I believe Pat Benatar has also cited Plant as a major influence (even going so far as to say she wanted to be a female Robert Plant at one point).

I was on a totally different planet in high school (1974-1978).  All of the non-band kids were Zeppelin, Zeppelin, Zeppelin 24/7.  I was always more into funk bands like TOP, E,W&F, James Brown, Brother Ray, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, jazz/rock stuff like Chicago & B,S&T, Jethro Tull, Latin rock like Santana and Malo and fusion such as Weather Report and Miles Davis.  Maybe playing in interracial bands had something to do with it, maybe not.  I dunno.  But even when it came to metal stuff, I liked Deep Purple with Ritchie Blackmore on lead guitar a LOT more than Page.  To me, he blew Page out of the water and he and keyboardist Jon Lord had a real jazz improvisational touch to their soloing and trading solos back and forth. To me Zeppelin was always Plant screaming bare chested and Page messing with the violin bow, all theatrics.  *DUCKS*

When I was in high school, about 15 years later it seemed to be all about grunge-- Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and Nirvana being the holy trinity of that genre.  Personally, I couldn't get into it and found myself listening more and more to the classic rock that I'd been exposed to by my older siblings (one of which whose record collection impressed me to no end when I visited him at age 12 and had finally re-discovered many of the bands that had been buried in my subconcious graduated in 1978 much like you-- incidentally I don't recall seeing any Zeppelin in his collection either).

The Kid Rock thing "All Summer Long" is the other big thing there because it contains samples from SHA.  Yuck.  Yeah, I'm WAAYYY weird, but aren't all musicians?  LOL!  Grin

Not to mention samples of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

Skynyrd is country rock and blues kicked up a notch... I despise "Freebird" (due to overplay), but things like "Simple Man", "On The Hunt", "Gimmie Three Steps", "Call Me The Breeze", "Ballad of Curtis Lowe"... are really the keys to Skynyrd.

But I know a lot of people who hate them too. Doesn't bother me in the least.

I went through my Zeppelin phase.... and yeah, it's because of what came out of Led Zeppelin -even down to the theatrics of what goes on stage when playing live, has set the stage for what everyone else had to do to be considered a rock band.

The funny thing, saxman, is that I loved motown and Zeppelin... country and Skynryd... Rush and Chicago.

Oh, I respect everyone's opinion, I really do.  However, I was certainly crucified for my tastes and not liking certain bands, LOL!  

Rush: amazing musicians, vocals of Geddy Lee....well, I guess I just don't like super high tenors (see Zep).  But that's me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:52:11 pm by Saxman » Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 08:14:44 pm »

Try being a country fan in a high school where new wave, punk, and hard rock were all the norm...

The good thing is that our tastes mature, and we start liking more diverse music generes.

Yeah, Darrin... I was teaching in high school at the tail end of the grunge scene... rap and bands like 311, Rage Against The Machine, etc. were popular.

I remember the first time I heard Pearl Jam... that pretty convinced me that I was offically "old" because I thought it was crap.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:13 pm »

Try being a country fan in a high school where new wave, punk, and hard rock were all the norm...

The good thing is that our tastes mature, and we start liking more diverse music generes.

Yeah, Darrin... I was teaching in high school at the tail end of the grunge scene... rap and bands like 311, Rage Against The Machine, etc. were popular.

I remember the first time I heard Pearl Jam... that pretty convinced me that I was offically "old" because I thought it was crap.

I have all of Pearl Jam's studio albums courtesy of friends, etc.  I don't get all the excitement.  I think Nirvana was better and Oasis better still, although they are no grunge act.  Radiohead is ok, but again, over-hyped to me.  I don't think everything they do is golden.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 07:08:45 am »

I believe that one reason so many of us don't like much of the new rock is partly generational but I also believe it's also the type of rock that's being offered.  I know a guy in his 30s, who came of age during the time the 2 big grunge bands, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, rose to the top.  He didn't like either of them and preferred the classic stuff.  I asked him why and he said that modern rock was too depressing.  He called it "angry young man music" made by a bunch of alienated youths who really had nothing to be angry about.  He understood that all rock had some of the same rebellion, alienation, and anger he spoke of, but he also said that song for song classic rock had more party records and positive vibes than any of the current stuff does.  I think he was right on the mark.  The Beatles, Beach Boys, Chicago, even artists with a political side to them had many upbeat moments.
Report Spam   Logged
susanleky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 08:21:38 am »

i like Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 08:49:40 am »

I believe that one reason so many of us don't like much of the new rock is partly generational but I also believe it's also the type of rock that's being offered.  I know a guy in his 30s, who came of age during the time the 2 big grunge bands, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, rose to the top.  He didn't like either of them and preferred the classic stuff.  I asked him why and he said that modern rock was too depressing.  He called it "angry young man music" made by a bunch of alienated youths who really had nothing to be angry about.  He understood that all rock had some of the same rebellion, alienation, and anger he spoke of, but he also said that song for song classic rock had more party records and positive vibes than any of the current stuff does.  I think he was right on the mark.  The Beatles, Beach Boys, Chicago, even artists with a political side to them had many upbeat moments.

Well, we know how Cobain ended up, so that wasn't an act.  Eddie Vedder has always impressed me as someone who needs to be on psychotropic drugs or something.

In the case of Chicago, the two big singles from the V album were Dialogue - a very political (yet somewhat upbeat) tune and Saturday In The Park, a warm, sunny celebration tune, showing the versatility of that band at the time, so point well taken.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum