"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 03:31:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dead Head Thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Head Thread  (Read 1751 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:32:08 am »

The only Grateful Dead I ever owned on CD/cassette/LP/whatever was the 2 CD Last Days of the Fillmore set.  The Dead had 3 songs on that.  I actually bought that set for the Sons of Champlin's Poppa Can Play but came away from it being blown away by the music of the Quicksilver Messenger Service, Tower of Power, and a rather young Boz Scaggs.  The one song Scaggs recorded, Baby's Callin' Me Home was absofreakinlutely brilliant... much more blues oriented than his much more famous material on Silk Degrees.

The Dead performed Casey Jones and a couple of other songs.  They had the first 3 songs on the 2nd CD of that set.  And I could be wrong but I believe Jerry played on at least 1 other track (on the song Henry by the New Riders of the Purple Sage[/i]).  The last 2 or 3 tracks on disc 2 were a huge jam session with just about everyone just kind of jamming.  It's kind of fun, but lacks any and all semblance of cohesiveness.  I normally would just skip those tracks and stick to the actual songs.

If you can find it, I highly recommend it as it's an excellent snapshot of the late 60s/early 70s SF Bay area music scene...

I could be wrong, but didn't promoter Bill Graham (the guy largely responsible for booking these bands at the Fillmore) die in the same helicopter crash as Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum