"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 02:15:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

TODAY IS...JULY 13TH!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TODAY IS...JULY 13TH!!  (Read 1599 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:32 am »

I never understood the point of Collins singing "Against the Odds" in two countries other than shameless self-promotion of the tune and himself.  You can add him to my list of people I don't get that everyone seems to adore.  I  always found him  a marginally talented drummer and barely adequate vocalist.

Spin magazine did an article back in the day about Geldof siding with the wrong people (mainly through his own ignorance and self-importance) in Africa, which helped assure the relief not getting where it was needed for the most part.

That was the point U2 started to annoy me: Live Aid and Bono with the "I am rock and roll" posturing.  I'm kind of neutral about them now, liked them a lot more before that concert.

Funny, I never thought about Springsteen not doing the concert: probably had other commitments.  His manager kept him on a tight leash at that time.  I remember reading he didn't want to perform the night Lennon was killed, but was strong armed into it.

However, there were some great performances and one-time team ups at Live Aid, no doubt.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:07:22 pm by Saxman » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum