"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 06:41:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

TODAY IS...JULY 13TH!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TODAY IS...JULY 13TH!!  (Read 1601 times)
KATH

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

Do y'all know what today is??  Other than Sir Patrick Stewart and Harrison Ford's birthdays...? Wink

Well, It's The 25th Anniversary of LIVE AID...!! (I heard it on the radio'. No, I didn't know it off the top of my head.)  

We shipped my Parents to Frankenmuth for a weekend getaway package, RENTED A VCR (we only had BETA at the time...Shocked), hooked up my stereo to it, and watched every minute on MTV; and taped it.  Still have the tapes (and got the dvd for Christmas a couple years back...) My sister had a couple girlfriends over for a sleepover, and my friends were in and out, (and I'm sure the usual suspects spent the night, too WHATEVER to go anywhere but one of the recliners.), Domino's Pizza was the official meal (BECAUSE THEY DELIVERED, Stickboy(pookie's brother)worked there, the liquor store was next door...and we TIPPED LAVISHLY.)...

And I really kinda don't remember much of the show...heh.  I look at the box of the DVD and say...oh yeah, I remember that. It was a concert.  It was fun.  It was kinda loud.  There was pizza and....probably Tequila Sunrises...and other things, no doubt...and the All-Star Game is on tonight, so...maybe I'll watch some...and if I do, I'll letcha know.  

Enjoy...it was HISTORY. Smiley
PEACE--Kath
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:28:15 pm »

Don't wanna make you feel old or nuthin'. I was 13 we likely didn't have cable. I never saw it. We did have VHS, but it was the type you had to set your channel buttons by turning little wheels and switches, so instead of watching MTV, we sat and listened to the elementary school teacher across the street (it picked up his baby monitor) do drug deals and snort coke. It was far more memorable than anything I can recall on MTV....lol
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:20:11 pm »

LOL!!
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:02:34 am »

I also taped the entire show and still have two of the tapes. My strongest memory of the day was the U2 segment; also when Phil Collins played in the UK and the US just hours apart.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:25 am »

I also taped the entire show and still have two of the tapes. My strongest memory of the day was the U2 segment; also when Phil Collins played in the UK and the US just hours apart.

It always kind of bothered me that Collins did that.  They could have used the money they spent on his flight and given it to the people Live Aid was trying to help.  It's seemed extravagant to do something like that when you consider the event's mission, especially because the stunt probably didn't bring in any additional funds.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:38:15 am by Charlie » Report Spam   Logged
sdparker7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:33:01 am »

I remember Live Aid very well. I didn't have cable but they simulcast it on ABC or something. I woke up early that day, 6am CST or so, and started watching the British part. I basically sat on my butt all day and did nothing. I must have been supposed to help my dad do something because halfway through the afternoon, he asked me to hand over the keys to my car, which I had just got that summer. I did it. For whatever reason, it was that important. It was our Woodstock. I was 16 at the time.

I remember the Beatles rumors (Ringo + Paul + George + Julian) and thought it would have been cool. Seeing as I barely knew who the Beatles were back then, as an adult now, I'm so glad it never happened. At the time, I thought Phil stunt was cool. Now, I'd have to agree with Charlie: use the money more wisely.

Some of the performances I remember: Bowie, Paul Young, "Zeppelin," Duran Duran doing "A View to a Kill" (still the best thing about that movie), Phil, and others. At the time, since I hated Springsteen, I was okay that he wasn't there. Now, I wonder why. Ditto for Chicago.

Anyway, loved Live Aid and it holds a unique place in my own musical history. Might have to rent the DVDs just to give it another listen.

BTW, this is my first post. Looking forward to many musical musings here.

~Scott
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:35:41 am »

It always kind of bothered me that Collins did that.  They could have used the money they spent on his flight and given it to the people Live Aid was trying to help.  It's seemed extravagant to do something like that when you consider the event's mission, especially because the stunt probably didn't bring in any additional funds.

Well, Charlie, that just would have meant more food to be left rotting on the docks, because the various African governments refused to allow it to be distributed to their people. They wanted weapons to continue the ethnic clensing of various political/cultural rivals.

Sorry about that depressing thought, but ultimately, that was the truth of a lot of these musicial fundraisers.

I watched a lot of it as well, including the Zeppelin "reunion", with Tony Thompson (of Chic/Power Station) on drums (IIRC).
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:32 am »

I never understood the point of Collins singing "Against the Odds" in two countries other than shameless self-promotion of the tune and himself.  You can add him to my list of people I don't get that everyone seems to adore.  I  always found him  a marginally talented drummer and barely adequate vocalist.

Spin magazine did an article back in the day about Geldof siding with the wrong people (mainly through his own ignorance and self-importance) in Africa, which helped assure the relief not getting where it was needed for the most part.

That was the point U2 started to annoy me: Live Aid and Bono with the "I am rock and roll" posturing.  I'm kind of neutral about them now, liked them a lot more before that concert.

Funny, I never thought about Springsteen not doing the concert: probably had other commitments.  His manager kept him on a tight leash at that time.  I remember reading he didn't want to perform the night Lennon was killed, but was strong armed into it.

However, there were some great performances and one-time team ups at Live Aid, no doubt.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:07:22 pm by Saxman » Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:13 pm »

An interesting point/counterpoint with the two versions of "We Are The World":

Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »

I know why...!!  Isn't the Internet a wonderful tool?  (except for Wikipedia Roll Eyes...)

Bruce didn't play Live Aid because he JUST Played London...The Born In The USA Tour played July 3,4 & 6th at Wembley Arena...maybe he thought it was redundant?  He was off from the 8th to the 30th of July...and he started work on the SUN CITY Compilation.

That tour was in place a long time before this show, and probably so was the break.  I saw that tour...I'M GLAD HE WAS RESTED!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum