"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 10:12:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I Like Everyone Seems To Hate

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I Like Everyone Seems To Hate  (Read 2265 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:24:19 am »

I just thought of another artist/musician that I really enjoy that I've noticed tends to be derided by critics and naysayers as being "bombastic" or "over the top."  Meat Loaf's longtime collaborator, Jim Steinman.  I dig Meat Loaf too but given that others have recorded the songs of Steinman I can't really limit it to Meat Loaf and all of Steinman's songs seem to have that same over the top anthemic bombast to them... and I love it! 

Some of Jim Steinman's songwriting efforts include:
Meat Loaf's entire Bat Out of Hell, Bat Out of Hell II, and Dead Ringer albums; select songs from Midnight At the Lost & Found, Welcome to the Neighborhood, Greatest Hits, and Bat Out of Hell III
Jim Steinman's own solo album Bad For Good
Nowhere Fast and Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young by Fire Inc. (from the Streets of Fire soundtrack)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing At All (incidentally the only song of theirs that I can still justify listening to)
Pandora's Box - (a studio project done by Steinman-- many of the songs were later re-done by other musicians)
Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back to Me Now (previously recorded on the Pandora's Box CD and since re-recorded as a duet on Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell III... the version on the Pandora's Box CD is my favorite)
Whistle Down the Wind - Musical co-written with Andrew Lloyd Weber.  It had a successful run in London but was a flop on Broadway.  The London cast recording is available on CD.
Tanz der Vampire/Dance of the Vampires - Dark Gothic comic musical originally done in German.  It was re-done in English on Broadway but was a total flop because the Americanized version downplayed the Gothic darkness and played up the comedy making it rather campy and lame.  Musical themes from some of Steinman's other songs were included in many of the songs in the musical, most notably Total Eclipse of the Heart and Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young.

I love his over the top bombastic anthems.  But I also realize they're not for everyone.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum