"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 19, 2024, 12:59:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I Like Everyone Seems To Hate

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I Like Everyone Seems To Hate  (Read 2243 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »

To turn this thread on its head a bit which more contemporary artists do you feel best capture/play tribute to that 70s sound?

My wife & I just got back from our vacation several hours of which were spent in a car (approximately 900 miles each way).  My wife popped in her Lenny Kravitz CD and listening to songs like It Ain't Over really captured that 70s vibe but with a (then) contemporary twist.  Of all the "bonus" tracks between the 2 Heart of Chicago CDs and XXVI my favorite was the Lenny Kravitz produced The Only One

Are there others?

I think that Kravitz/Chicago track is decent except for Jason sounding totally like a refugee from the Bee Gees on his vocal lead.  

I saw Kravitz in 1989 opening for Tom Petty and IMHO he blew Petty off the stage.

I played in a rock cover band for a couple of years until March of this year and from having to learn a couple of Kings Of Leon tunes, they seem to really have captured (at least on their guitar solos/lines) some of that U2 1980s vibe.  The vocals, no way, but the rhythm section and lead guitar work is similar.  There is also some of the jangling guitar work of REM's (a band I used to adore) 1980s IRS-era work as well in KOL.  I quite enjoy some of their tunes.

A lot of people see The Black Crowes as a Stones tribute band.

Oasis always sounded to me like a Beatles/Stones/T Rex tribute band, with the singing Galleghar brother trying to sound like John Lennon most of the time, so i guess that's a little bit 60s, a little bit 70s.

Aerosmith has been dismissed by many for years as a Stones wanna-be, with Steven Tyler possessing the Jagger lips and strut to prove it.  I'm totally ambivalent about the band, so I have no opinion.  I saw them in 1978 and the only thing I remember was they opened with "Train Kept a Rollin' " and had to start it three times because they were so wasted.  They had big buckets of coke on stage and it showed: sloppy as hell, worst "professional" show I ever saw except for The Who in 1982 (Daltrey couldn't hit a note with a baseball bat and they didn't care) and Ted Nugent in 1978 (totally disgusting, had a rug in front of him he spit on all night long: seriously...the guy never stopped spitting when he wasn't singing).

Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:25 pm »

I thought Maroon 5 captured the late 80s sound with their hit single, "This Love"...

As far as Kravitz's work with Chicago... Jason was bad, but Robert's lazy lounge singer crooning "What's been going on..." usually has me pushing the skip button before he even finishes the first syllable.

Kravitz has a reputation as a control freak and has to include himself in songs he produces, and "The Only One" wasn't an exception.

Ironically, when he comes in at the end of the song, that's the part I actually enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 06:33:37 am »

I thought Maroon 5 captured the late 80s sound with their hit single, "This Love"...

As far as Kravitz's work with Chicago... Jason was bad, but Robert's lazy lounge singer crooning "What's been going on..." usually has me pushing the skip button before he even finishes the first syllable.

Kravitz has a reputation as a control freak and has to include himself in songs he produces, and "The Only One" wasn't an exception.

Ironically, when he comes in at the end of the song, that's the part I actually enjoy.

Lamm (he of no small ego - can you tell I'm finally OVER this band?) has taken to singing other people's songs like he's in a coma in recent years.  On the Xmas and big band stuff (except for maybe "Caravan" and "Feel" where he SO over the top, it's comical - "my first single lead vocal since 1977....LAAAHHHHHHHHHH!") he sounds like he talking in his sleep he's so bored.  Why?  He didn't write it, so it's not good and he's not going to put the effort in.

I like the Kravitz vocal bit at the end a lot, too.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum