"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 11:19:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists You Once Loved, But Now Dislike

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists You Once Loved, But Now Dislike  (Read 1311 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:27:49 am »

How about this thread?  Any takers?  I'll start out with a few:

Bill Evans - this piano "giant" now puts me to sleep.  At one point I had several boxed sets of his stuff.  I can't even listen to one track of his without drifting off.  He was brilliant on Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" album, but on his own....ZZZZZZZZ!

George Winston - new age pianist, most of his output is laughably clumsy, especially when he tries to play standards or well-known pop tunes.  When he was doing his "Seasons" albums he was fine.  Once that cycle was done, he's been a joke ever since.  I snapped up everything he bought, then actually went back to listen to them during decluttering and almost laughed my head off at the non-season albums.

Maynard Ferguson (DUCKS) - I just don't like screeching trumpet and that even applies to his more jazzy M.F. Horn albums.  He really wasn't really all that great of an improviser, either, if truth be told: a lot of blues cliches. The god of many (mostly white) trumpet players.

Chase - see Maynard Ferguson above, plus laughably sexist lyrics.

Wynton Marsalis -  he's lost the 'tude as it's cost him audience and record contracts, but he's a cold improviser, all technique, no feel.  Getting a little better as he ages, but not much.

The Who - don't like them as an album band, better represented by a good 2 CD compilation

Jethro Tull,  Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago- see The Who

Sade - post "Love Deluxe," one big ZZZZZZ, no more jams, all lyrics about "in prison with my broken heart," etc.

T.S. Monk - Theolonius Monk's son is a competent, but hardly earth-shattering jazz drummer

Sorry for all the jazz groups, but I've mainly stayed steadfast in my rock picks.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:32:18 am by Saxman » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:55:50 am »

I don't dislike Led Zeppelin, but I am pretty much sick of most of their music.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:58:41 am »

For me it is The Who.  I think it was caused by how much they were overplayed on classic rock radio. That pretty much did it for me.  I also got tired of Keith Moon's drumming.  He may be the loudest drummer in the world but he has no technique.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

For me it is The Who.  I think it was caused by how much they were overplayed on classic rock radio. That pretty much did it for me.  I also got tired of Keith Moon's drumming.  He may be the loudest drummer in the world but he has no technique.

Moon is something like #3 on Rolling Stones all-time greatest drummers, something I scratch my head at.  Never used a high hat, everything is a big wash over the ride cymbal, plus constant soloing on the tom toms.  Taste?  He didn't have any.  That's why a lot of metal heads love him: all bashing, any idiot could do it.

The Who: does anyone REALLY want to hear "Won't Get Fooled Again" even one more time?  Good God, I must have heard it at least 1,000,000,000 times.  The same with "Who Are You," "Baba O'Reilly," "Magic Bus" and "I Can See for Miles."  To be perfectly honest, I don't care if I ever hear them again.  I'm sick of them!

I never liked Zeppelin, ever, but their constant presence on Chicagoland radio makes me like them even less.  I don't think WDRV or WLUP go more that 10 minutes without playing Zeppelin.  Even WXRT (adult alternative) plays them all the time.  ACCCKKK!
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »

Classic rock radio does a great job in killing the love for just about any old song, because their format is so rigid.

Skynryd up next? Let me guess: Freebird, Gimmie Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama or What's Your Name

Eagles? Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Victim of Love or Take It Easy

Clapton? ****, Lay Down Sally, Layla, After Midnight (the original version) Sunshine On Your Love or White Room

Areosmith? Sweet Emotion, Dream On, Come Together, Walk This Way

and so on...

Album cuts? No way. Mellow songs? Are you kidding? Maybe the over-the-top hair band power ballads, but nothing like Lyin' Eyes, the slower, blusier version of "After Midnight" and so on.

They just play the same songs over and over and over again...
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:59:39 am »

Classic rock radio does a great job in killing the love for just about any old song, because their format is so rigid.

Skynryd up next? Let me guess: Freebird, Gimmie Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama or What's Your Name

Eagles? Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Victim of Love or Take It Easy

Clapton? ****, Lay Down Sally, Layla, After Midnight (the original version) Sunshine On Your Love or White Room

Areosmith? Sweet Emotion, Dream On, Come Together, Walk This Way

and so on...

Album cuts? No way. Mellow songs? Are you kidding? Maybe the over-the-top hair band power ballads, but nothing like Lyin' Eyes, the slower, blusier version of "After Midnight" and so on.

They just play the same songs over and over and over again...

Skynyrd: I don't like em anyway as many here know, but sometimes I think I'll lose my mind if I hear that stupid riff for "Sweet Home" one more time.  When i was in a rock cover band as recently as March of this year, people would request all those songs listed above and I'd have to try not to explode, LOL! 

I worked with people around my age at my day gig who listened to classic rock and they "never get tired of those tunes!  That's the canon!  That's the greatest music ever!  I never change my radio dial!"  Hell, I didn't like most of that stuff when it was new, let alone now. 30 - almost 40 years later, when it's been drummed into the head even at the grocery store, LOL!
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

Pearl Jam: I loved their first two albums but got bored with them after that. Now if I hear Eddie Vedder's voice, I turn it off.

The Black Crowes: Again, loved their first two albums and their whole junior-Stones/Allman Brothers/Faces bit; ironically, the point where I dropped them was when they became junior-Dead.

Madonna: While I still enjoy her 80s music, she lost me around the Erotica period and I haven't bought anything from her since or listened to her seriously since. The same goes for Janet Jackson.

Classic rock radio definitely drags decent songs by good artists into the ground. I call those "Piano Man" songs, which sounds like another thread to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
Pegs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »

It isn't so much artists as songs that I wonder "what was I thinking?", & then just 2:

Honey by Bobby Goldsboro - loved it when I was 11, got over it within 2 years & cringe when I think about it.

DOA by Bloodrock (right, Charlie? ) I thought it was really coooool when I was 15, but got over that when I heard it again 20 years later. Yeeccchhh.

For the record, I think "Won't Get Fooled Again" is the most perfect rock song ever. It's got the right sound, guitar, drumming, attitude, lyrics & THE SCREAM. After 39 years, I could still hear it 20 times a day & never get tired of it.

But, that's just me. : )
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:47:41 pm by Pegs » Report Spam   Logged

Life is too serious to be taken seriously.
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »

I have to agree with Maynard Ferguson. Maybe it was just because when in high school band striving to "hit the high notes" made him seem amazing. But lately I've found that aside from say the song "Sunday Morning" from his High voltage CD, I don't particularly care to listen to him anymore. While I do still like some of his songs, It's been so long since i have listened, that I would have to review them as most have slipped my mind. if you have never heard Sunday Morning, I would be obliged to upload it, it's not near as annoying as much of the "screaming trumpet" stuff and I personally find the best song by memory I have ever heard of his. This of course is only limited to the 3 or 4 CD's I had gotten.

I have a Wynton Marsalis CD that I apparently never returned to the library (and since they never notified me I'm afraid to find out just how much a 20 year fine would be...lol) It was OK, but I've never found myself compelled to re-listen to it. I did try to, but there was nothing catchy or even mildly memorable there.

I'm one of those people who have at least one favorite in just about every music category, so I range from Rock to Rap to Classical etc. My wife has often looked at me strange because I can make a CD with a Chicago song, Rhapsody in Blue, The Humpty Dance, Firestarter (Prodigy), Stone temple Pilots, Maynard Ferguson, Michael W. Smith, Jim Brickman etc.
She finds it hard to believe a guy who spent 90% of his time listening to Chicago albums could suddenly be caught singing along to Stone Temple Pilots, that one really threw her!
I know some people just hate certain genre's, but to me any genre can have a good catchy tune. In most cases, as long as it has a good grove I don't care.

Music is strange, you can find an artist who puts out 100 songs over 10 albums, you hate 99 of them with a passion and 1 will be in your memory as a favorite forever. To me that is amazing.

Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

For the record, I think "Won't Get Fooled Again" is the most perfect rock song ever. It's got the right sound, guitar, drumming, attitude, lyrics & THE SCREAM. After 39 years, I could still hear it 20 times a day & never get tired of it.

The Who's Next has two of the most brilliant rock songs EVER on it... We Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Reilly are both BRILLIANT! 

Behind Blue Eyes is also pretty fantastic!  The copy of the album I picked up on CD a few years back contains as a bonus track an alternate version of the song with a keyboard part played by Nicky Hopkins.  Both versions are thoroughly enjoyable.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum