"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 06:46:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists You Once Disliked, But Now Love

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists You Once Disliked, But Now Love  (Read 854 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:38 am »

Here's the other side of the coin.  My pick to get this going:

Thelonious Monk - I just didn't get this jazz pianist for YEARS, but since about 1992, I think he's a genius.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:21 am »

The band Rush

I've read the comments about Geddy Lee's vocals, and I used to agree with them... but what happened was I really just sat back and listened to the music and the lyrics, and became a fan.

I don't love everything they do, but the songs I do love, I love a lot:

Red Barchetta
Red Sector A
Big Money
Subdivisions
Force 10
YYZ
Losing It
Witchhunt
Report Spam   Logged
Packercracker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »

AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Aerosmith.

Probably because in adolescence, I liked ballads and my older brother liked hard rock and metal. So just to disagree, I hated it.

Report Spam   Logged
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:12:41 pm »

oooh, great topic. dislike, but now love.

Let me see...

I can't think of any! Off the top of my head. But it will have me thinking now. I guess cause my tastes are so diverse, I like some songs from artists that the rest of their stuff is just OK or I don't like at all.

For instance of my favorites from the 80's is "Something About You" from Level 42. I tried a GH album figuring if I liked that song maybe I'd like them, nope. Found one other song I thought was alright. But the only song I liked of that was in fact "Something About You".

Like I said in the inverse thread, isn't music strange?
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:19 pm »

For instance of my favorites from the 80's is "Something About You" from Level 42. I tried a GH album figuring if I liked that song maybe I'd like them, nope. Found one other song I thought was alright. But the only song I liked of that was in fact "Something About You".

I dig Level 42.  Admittedly none of their other material is as accessible as Something About You but I do find some of their other material to be enjoyable.  The guys had/have great musical chops.  They started out more as a jazz-oriented rock band and their material took an increasingly more pop turn as the 80s progressed.  I enjoy it for what it is but I really have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

For jazz-influenced rock I prefer listening to Steely Dan or Boz Scaggs.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum