"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 29, 2024, 06:59:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Favorite Big Band/Swing Classics/Standards

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Big Band/Swing Classics/Standards  (Read 3801 times)
KATH

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »

What are some of your favorite big band/swing classics & standards?  Some of mine include

Moonlight Serenade - A classic in every sense of the word.  As beautiful and moving today as the day it was first performed.
Pennsylvania 6-5000 - A great and fun song.
String of Pearls - I've actually had this one stuck in my head all morning
In the Mood - Perhaps second only to Moonlight Serenade as the definitive song of the swing era.
Sing Sing Sing - A close third to In the Mood and Moonlight Serenade as far as how well it has stood the test of time/how well it's remembered.
Caravan - Great song, great rhythm

Well, ya got 4 of my favorites...my Very Favorite:  "SING, SING, SING"--Love this!!  Do you remember the movie "SWING KIDS"?  (Early 90's I think...ROBERT SEAN LEONARD--Wilson in "HOUSE" was in it...? The OMPS was great.)

Then, "IN THE MOOD",  "CARAVAN"  and, "PENNSYLVANIA 6-5000"--DID YOU KNOW--That STILL TO THIS DAY--is a working number??  I wasn't sure so I called...TRY IT--(212)736-5000  It's the number of the Hotel Pennsylvania--on 7th Avenue, directly across from MSG.  And the song is on the intro automated recording!  I stayed there in 93 (There was a CREATION CONVENTION; special guest, SIR PATRICK STEWART Kiss Kiss Kiss)

Okay...here's a few more I like off the top of my head:  

BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY/DON'T SIT UNDER THE APPLE TREE--Andrews Sisters (I LOVE THE ANDREWS SISTERS...)
MOONLIGHT SERENADE--Glenn Miller
STOMPIN' AT THE SAVOY--Benny Goodman (didn't write it...but they played it.)
MILLIE THE MOOCHER--Cab Calloway
MOOD INDIGO--Duke Ellington
RHAPSODY IN BLUE--George Gershwin

That's a pretty good 10...!
...There's SO MANY AMAZING BIG BAND RECORDINGS.  There's a STEAMER TRUNK in the attic FULL OF 78'S--they were in the house when the 'rents moved in.  And--WHY YES!--we still have a way to PLAY 'EM.  (now, if I just had the stones to go to the attic...it's a HEIGHT THING. LOL!!) Every time someone GOES UP THERE...I get 'em to bring a stack downstairs.  They're SO COOL!!  Smiley  

PEACE--Kath
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:54:38 pm by KATH » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum