"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 29, 2024, 04:29:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Favorite Big Band/Swing Classics/Standards

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Big Band/Swing Classics/Standards  (Read 3800 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:19 am »

What are some of your favorite big band/swing classics & standards?  Some of mine include

Moonlight Serenade - A classic in every sense of the word.  As beautiful and moving today as the day it was first performed.
Pennsylvania 6-5000 - A great and fun song.
String of Pearls - I've actually had this one stuck in my head all morning
In the Mood - Perhaps second only to Moonlight Serenade as the definitive song of the swing era.
Sing Sing Sing - A close third to In the Mood and Moonlight Serenade as far as how well it has stood the test of time/how well it's remembered.
Caravan - Great song, great rhythm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:49:14 am »

The entire "Count Basie Sings/Joe Williams Sings" album is one of my favorites.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »

What are some of your favorite big band/swing classics & standards?  Some of mine include

Moonlight Serenade - A classic in every sense of the word.  As beautiful and moving today as the day it was first performed.
In the Mood - Perhaps second only to Moonlight Serenade as the definitive song of the swing era.
Sing Sing Sing - A close third to In the Mood and Moonlight Serenade as far as how well it has stood the test of time/how well it's remembered.

Well, ya got 4 of my favorites...my Very Favorite:  "SING, SING, SING"--Love this!!  Do you remember the movie "SWING KIDS"?  (Early 90's I think...ROBERT SEAN LEONARD--Wilson in "HOUSE" was in it...? The OMPS was great.)

Then, "IN THE MOOD",  "CARAVAN"  and, "PENNSYLVANIA 6-5000"--DID YOU KNOW--That STILL TO THIS DAY--is a working number??  I wasn't sure so I called...TRY IT--(212)736-5000  It's the number of the Hotel Pennsylvania--on 7th Avenue, directly across from MSG.  And the song is on the intro automated recording!  I stayed there in 93 (There was a CREATION CONVENTION; special guest, SIR PATRICK STEWART Kiss Kiss Kiss)

Okay...here's a few more I like off the top of my head:  

BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY/DON'T SIT UNDER THE APPLE TREE--Andrews Sisters (I LOVE THE ANDREWS SISTERS...)
MOONLIGHT SERENADE--Glenn Miller
STOMPIN' AT THE SAVOY--Benny Goodman (didn't write it...but they played it.)
MILLIE THE MOOCHER--Cab Calloway
MOOD INDIGO--Duke Ellington
RHAPSODY IN BLUE--George Gershwin

That's a pretty good 10...!
...There's SO MANY AMAZING BIG BAND RECORDINGS.  There's a STEAMER TRUNK in the attic FULL OF 78'S--they were in the house when the 'rents moved in.  And--WHY YES!--we still have a way to PLAY 'EM.  (now, if I just had the stones to go to the attic...it's a HEIGHT THING. LOL!!) Every time someone GOES UP THERE...I get 'em to bring a stack downstairs.  They're SO COOL!!  Smiley  

PEACE--Kath
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:54:38 pm by KATH » Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »

I've got a working Victrola, Kath, if you ever want to play them...

Those are all good ones you all listed. I'm a Glenn Miller fan, but enjoy Louie Prima too...
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:29:08 am »

Ohhhhhhyeahhh...I forgot he did it, too.  Didn't he do a version of  (and I'm gonna slaughter the spelling...so, it's phonetic...) By Mir Bis Du Schayn??   Undecided  You know what I mean, right?  I know the Andrews Sisters did it, but I don't know who played it when they sang it...And...JUMP JIVE AND WAIL!!  (Brian Setzer's version is great, too!) 

...That whole Swing thing hit BIG when I worked at Harmony House the second time...(oddly enough, N&D was released in 95, IIRC--before the wave hit...)I started back there in 98; and I remember all our high school kids went to the same school (sometimes awesome, sometimes quite hellish!) were all takin' swing lessons, and they'd come in afterward and show us what they learned...We played that stuff a LOT!!  There were some really good bands at that point--Brian Setzer's Big Band, The Fabulous Swing Kings, Blue Plate Special (who played our CHRISTMAS PARTY; from Chicago, I think!) Cherry Poppin' Daddies...I can't remember any more. 

Yeah, that's what my Mom has; a Victrola...It was GRANNY'S. Cry 
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:33:02 am »

I like all of those listed above, especially "In The Mood" and my favorite, "Sing, Sing, Sing."

I'd add Artie Shaw's "Begin The Beguine" and Harry James' "I've Heard That Song Before"  which was prominent in Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters.

More Ellington: "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," "Take the A Train," and "I'm Beginning to See the Light."

Benny Goodman's "Stompin' at the Savoy" is another.

I've got quite the big band collection on vinyl.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:39:12 am »

Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6y7Qs2A-o&feature=related
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:51 am »

...That whole Swing thing hit BIG when I worked at Harmony House the second time...(oddly enough, N&D was released in 95, IIRC--before the wave hit...)I started back there in 98; and I remember all our high school kids went to the same school (sometimes awesome, sometimes quite hellish!) were all takin' swing lessons, and they'd come in afterward and show us what they learned...We played that stuff a LOT!!  There were some really good bands at that point--Brian Setzer's Big Band, The Fabulous Swing Kings, Blue Plate Special (who played our CHRISTMAS PARTY; from Chicago, I think!) Cherry Poppin' Daddies...I can't remember any more. 

We had another New Swing band, the Atomic Fireballs, perform at my college back in 1998 or so.  I believe they were the opener for Blessid Union of Souls (strange pairing).  I went to see them live and left before Blessid Union of Souls really got going. 

Another few new swing bands that come to mind are Royal Crown Revue, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (the band from the movie Swingers) the latter are best known for You and Me and the Bottle Makes Three
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:15 am »

The Brian Setzer Orchestra really captures the era pretty well even if he adds his rockabilly guitar to the whole thing.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 10:21:56 am »

We had another New Swing band, the Atomic Fireballs, perform at my college back in 1998 or so.  I believe they were the opener for Blessid Union of Souls (strange pairing).  I went to see them live and left before Blessid Union of Souls really got going. 

Another few new swing bands that come to mind are Royal Crown Revue, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (the band from the movie Swingers) the latter are best known for You and Me and the Bottle Makes Three

Thank you!!!  THAT'S THE ONE!!  Atomic Fireballs. and NOW since you said it--did they do the song, MAN WITH THE HEX?? Is that them??  That song ROCKS!!  I'm kinda sick of my brain (or the lack thereof, as the case may be...)at the moment...and it's gettin' worse!  UGH.  Anyway...I hate that all my music is in storage...I have ALL that stuff!!  Royal Crown Revue is great, too.  I saw Squirrel Nut Zippers Live in a TEENSY club in Pontiac BITD.  It was EXCELLENT!...and I wish I could remember WHO opened.   

Yeah, that IS a strange pairing...oh well.  Sometimes the oddest pairings are some of the best shows.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:34:13 am by KATH » Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:29:48 am »

Thank you!!!  THAT'S THE ONE!!  Atomic Fireballs. and NOW since you said it--did they do the song, MAN WITH THE HEX?? Is that them??  That song ROCKS!!  I'm kinda sick of my brain (or the lack thereof, as the case may be...)at the moment...and it's gettin' worse!  UGH.  Anyway...I hate that all my music is in storage...I have ALL[/a] that stuff!!  Royal Crown Revue is great, too.  I saw Squirrel Nut Zippers Live in a TEENSY club in Pontiac BITD.  It was EXCELLENT!...and I wish I could remember WHO opened.   

Yeah, that IS a strange pairing...oh well.  Sometimes the oddest pairings are some of the best shows.

Actually I don't recall specifics about the show, only that I enjoyed it.  Even though I thoroughly enjoyed New Swing as far as 90s horn music was concerned I was a bit more entrenched on the ska end of the spectrum-- Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug, Deals Gone Bad (saw them live at a German/Irish bar, Gunther Murphy's, here in Chicago back in 1999, have one of their CDs too), and Mephaskapholes to name but a few.  Of those Mighty Mighty Bosstones were my faves starting with their 1993 major label debut Don't Know How to Party (arguably still their best, but their first 2 indie releases and 1995's Question the Answers are pretty good as well.

But ska belongs a bit more in the 90s section of the board than in here.  New Swing on the other hand is equally at home here and/or in the 90s section.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum