"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 11:59:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5452 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »

Eric Clapton -  the most overrated performer of all time.  Cream was great, but a long time ago.  WAAYYY lazy unless someone is kicking his butt (see 2005 Cream reunion for good Eric)

What about Blind Faith?  I like some of Clapton's more blues oriented stuff but from his Unplugged album his albums have all been "music to put people into comas to."

I will say that as far as Blues Rock guitarists go, Mike Bloomfield could play circles around Clapton (and when he was alive, he often did just that).

Even though I enjoyed the work that Clapton and Winwood did together in Blind Faith, I thought the work that Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield did was better. 

The big difference was-- and I'm guessing why Blind Faith is better remembered and often held in higher regard is because Winwood was/is a better singer than Kooper.  But on keys and guitar I'll take Kooper and Bloomfield over Winwood and Clapton any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Blind Faith was OK and so was Derek and the Dominoes, more because of Duane Allman than Clapton in the case of Derek.  Bloomfield was a force of nature who never got his due, in part because of his heroin addiction keeping him off the scene for years at a time.  Kooper is a much better keys player than Winwood, whom I always thought was mega-overrated.  The Clapton/Winwood live album from last year is a super snoozer.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum