"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 11:38:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5451 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:25 am »

Boston
Aerosmith (cut-rate Stones)
Kansas
ELO
ELP
Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat
The Allman Brothers Band post-Duane
Jethro Tull as an album band -  they are better in compilations: lots of filler on every album and I say this as a flute player
The Doobie Brothers - any incarnation

Boston - Love their first 2 and 4th albums (I love Walk On despite the absence of Brad Delp).  I find Third Stage to be rather bland in comparison and Corporate America only has 1 song I like the rest of the album doesn't do anything for me.
Aerosmith - Their first two albums are enjoyable but after that they really don't/didn't do much for me.  I did enjoy their music videos in the early 90s but that had far more to do with Alicia Silverstone than it did the music.
Kansas - I dig the Leftoverture and Point of Know Return albums and despite thoroughly enjoying the vocals of Elefante on Drastic Measures and Vinyl Confessions I'm not generally a fan of those albums.  The quality of the material was substantially lacking.
ELO - I enjoy much of their material but I'm happy with just the 2CD Strange Magic.  The only non-compilation albums of theirs that I enjoy are Time (because of the sci-fi concept) and Zoom (because of the Harrison and Starr contributions)
ELP - I dig Brain Salad Surgery.  I actually think that album has aged somewhat well.  Although, I'll concede Saxman's point on the rest of their material not aging well.  I prefer Greg Lake's work on the first 2 King Crimson albums and Palmer's work with Asia over ELP.
Styx - Used to listen to them incessantly and I still enjoy their 70s material.  They jumped the shark with Kilroy Was Here which I enjoyed initially but I don't believe it's aged as well as their other material.
Foreigner - I had a brief Foreigner phase.  It passed.  The only album of theirs I own is Double Vision.  I really feel that doctors should use their music for advertising-- Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded, and Double Vision would all work well.
REO - Love their 70s material.  Used to enjoy their 80s material as well but over the years I've grown bored of it.  Their debut album with Terry Luttrell (who later went on to sing lead for Starcastle) instead of Kevin Cronin is a favorite of mine.
Foghat - I concur with Hourman, they were a bit of a one-trick pony... did they have any other hits besides Slow Ride.
Allman Brothers (post Duane) - I agree with Saxman.
Jethro Tull - I agree with both Saxman and Hourman
The Doobie Brothers - I dig the Tom Johnston era stuff.  I'm not quite as keen on the Michael McDonald era.  It's a little too polished for my tastes.  The Doobies aren't supposed to sound that polished!  That's part of their appeal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:46:54 am by Perplexio » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum