"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 18, 2024, 04:29:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5436 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »

We all have a list of these.  Who are yours?  Here's mine.

David Bowie
Peter Gabriel (solo)
Joni Mitchell
The Police
Nirvana

While I don't care for nor do I listen to most of the ones on your list, I wouldn't really say I hate any of them-- it's such a strong word.  

Bowie, I used to consider to be a bit overrated but after hearing some of his less popular/less famous material for the first time a couple of years ago I've given him another chance.  Life on Mars in particular is an excellent song... and it was good enough to give me cause to re-evaluate my initial dismissiveness of Bowie as being overrated.  

I like some of Peter Gabriel's solo material but I also find much of it to be a bit pretentious and overblown.  And while I'm a fan of Genesis, one of my least favorite albums by them is the 2CD Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as I find it to be an exercise of musical excess.  While prog-rock is traditionally known for such excesses, the rest of the band had kind of kept Gabriel in check up to that point.  And even after he left they put out a couple of really strong studio albums (A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering) showing that the tendency toward excessive self indulgence was largely due to his influence on the band.

I don't listen to Joni Mitchell and never really have thus I don't have enough knowledge of or experience with her music to really justify a strong opinion for or against her.

The Police put out some solid singles in the 80s.  But my interest with them is limited to their hit singles and maybe some of the deeper album cuts on Synchronicity.

I don't like Nirvana, never have, likely never will.  BUT I respect that they had a tremendous impact on the music of my generation and that their music had a strong impact in the lives of many of my peers... I just wasn't one of the Gen X'ers whose life was affected/touched by Nirvana.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum