"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 06:50:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5403 times)
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »

But then, there's like THE COUPLE SONG LOVERS...those band(s) or artist(s) that has three of four songs, tops--that you LOVE...but hate the rest?? (TED NUGENT or MOODY BLUES, ANYBODY? heh.)  Other than Cat Scratch Fever, Stranglehold,

What, not a fan of Free For All or his "love song", Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!? Wink

I'm embarassed to admit that I love Ted Nugent's song "Wango Tango." (Sounds like another thread topic - songs you love but are embarassed to admit it.)

BTW, I've met very few people over about age 40 who like Mariah Carey.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:59 pm »

...yeah, and I'll take Alice Cooper--You can have Deadly Tedly.  LOL!!
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 03:49:38 pm »

...and that's cool.  I liked Weekend Warrior better.  heh. SEE?  Is it regional Bias?  Isn't it YOU who doesn't like STYX??  I'll trade ya.  LOL!!

oh...and I have to say this...but the one, the only, ANN ARBOR'S VERY OWN...Bob Seger.  (how did I EVER FORGET THAT?)
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »

...and that's cool.  I liked Weekend Warrior better.  heh. SEE?  Is it regional Bias?  Isn't it YOU who doesn't like STYX??  I'll trade ya.  LOL!!

I like some Styx but I refuse to go see the band that's currently touring under that moniker.  No Dennis DeYoung no Styx as far as I'm concerned.  The band currently touring as Styx is actually "The James Young with ocassional special guest Tommy Shaw Band"... and Tommy Shaw wasn't even an original member!  He replaced John Curliewski.

I also much prefer their 70s material over their 80s... basically everything before Kilroy Was Here... And even that I liked initially.  I think I just got over-saturated with that album as I grew older (not to mention my tastes have changed).

In the mid-90s Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades (of Night Ranger) put out an album together, Hallucination after Damn Yankees split up.  That album was/is actually pretty solid and I prefer it to the 2 Damn Yankees albums which despite the all-star line-up were a bit too over-produced for my tastes.  They were good when they first came out but their music has not aged well at all.
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 05:22:27 pm »

oh...and I have to say this...but the one, the only, ANN ARBOR'S VERY OWN...Bob Seger.  (how did I EVER FORGET THAT?)

I do like Styx, but like Darrin and almost everyone else, I get off the bus with Kilroy Was Here. Plus I agree: No Dennis, no Styx.

I also like Bob Seger, even though he's from the home of That School Up North. (Yes, it's almost football season.) Now that I'm in my 40s I appreciate his songs about remembering his childhood much better.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 08:05:42 pm »

I like Styx as well... and no Dennis, no Styx.

I even like this song:

Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 11:03:45 am »

A few that come to mind (and I don't hate them, I just don't get all the love):

Rock/Pop

Led Zeppelin

Lynard Skynard

Joe Walsh solo - can't stand his singing voice

Jimmy Buffet

The Police (lotsa filler on their albums; is it me or is Sting's voice MEGA whiny on some of those high tenor vocals he used to do?)

Talking Heads: ok, i have to pull out the hate word for David Byrne's voice.  I HATE it.  Trying to sound insane and semi off-key all the time is not hip.

The Rolling Stones -  I just don't like Jagger's voice: this is never going to change.  My wife feels the same way.

The Who - as an album band.  They have a collection of great tunes, but there isn't one album without plenty of filler

Stevie Ray Vaughan -  the fact he died clean and tragically doesn't change the fact he copped everything Hendrix did from his clothes to his playing and Jimi did it all first and better!

John Mayer - his somewhat racist attitude, his goofy "tender" singing voice...BAH!

Mariah Carrey/Whitey Houston/Celine Dion -  the Screaming MacBeth Witches who started the "screaming diva" kick that persists to this day in imitators like Beyonce, who has the most annoying hooks in her songs and manages to marry a former gangbanger like Jay Z, whom Rolling Stone can't stop slobbering over

Lady Gaga -for ripping off Madonna, whom I also don't like (sorry Kath)

Ted Nugent (nuff said)

Rod Stewart -  can't stand his voice, never could

Eric Clapton -  the most overrated performer of all time.  Cream was great, but a long time ago.  WAAYYY lazy unless someone is kicking his butt (see 2005 Cream reunion for good Eric)

Dave Matthews -  not the next Dead, Allmans or Phish.  Self indulgent pot fueled jamming that goes nowhere and he can't play a decent guitar solo to save his life.

Elvis - movie era and post late 1960s comeback.  The stuff with all the backing vocalists and the huge orchestras - C-R-A-P.

Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25:26 am »

Eric Clapton -  the most overrated performer of all time.  Cream was great, but a long time ago.  WAAYYY lazy unless someone is kicking his butt (see 2005 Cream reunion for good Eric)

What about Blind Faith?  I like some of Clapton's more blues oriented stuff but from his Unplugged album his albums have all been "music to put people into comas to."

I will say that as far as Blues Rock guitarists go, Mike Bloomfield could play circles around Clapton (and when he was alive, he often did just that).

Even though I enjoyed the work that Clapton and Winwood did together in Blind Faith, I thought the work that Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield did was better. 

The big difference was-- and I'm guessing why Blind Faith is better remembered and often held in higher regard is because Winwood was/is a better singer than Kooper.  But on keys and guitar I'll take Kooper and Bloomfield over Winwood and Clapton any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »

What about Blind Faith?  I like some of Clapton's more blues oriented stuff but from his Unplugged album his albums have all been "music to put people into comas to."

I will say that as far as Blues Rock guitarists go, Mike Bloomfield could play circles around Clapton (and when he was alive, he often did just that).

Even though I enjoyed the work that Clapton and Winwood did together in Blind Faith, I thought the work that Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield did was better. 

The big difference was-- and I'm guessing why Blind Faith is better remembered and often held in higher regard is because Winwood was/is a better singer than Kooper.  But on keys and guitar I'll take Kooper and Bloomfield over Winwood and Clapton any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Blind Faith was OK and so was Derek and the Dominoes, more because of Duane Allman than Clapton in the case of Derek.  Bloomfield was a force of nature who never got his due, in part because of his heroin addiction keeping him off the scene for years at a time.  Kooper is a much better keys player than Winwood, whom I always thought was mega-overrated.  The Clapton/Winwood live album from last year is a super snoozer.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:34 pm »

Blind Faith was OK and so was Derek and the Dominoes, more because of Duane Allman than Clapton in the case of Derek.  Bloomfield was a force of nature who never got his due, in part because of his heroin addiction keeping him off the scene for years at a time.  Kooper is a much better keys player than Winwood, whom I always thought was mega-overrated.  The Clapton/Winwood live album from last year is a super snoozer.

With Winwood I tend to think of him as a vocalist first and a keyboard player second.  With Kooper I tend to think of him as a master arranger/musical genius first, a keyboard player second, and a vocalist last.  His vocals are passable and when he sings in his range even enjoyable.  However his range is somewhat limited compared to Winwood. 
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

A few that come to mind (and I don't hate them, I just don't get all the love):

Rock/Pop

Led Zeppelin

Lynard Skynard

Joe Walsh solo - can't stand his singing voice

Jimmy Buffet

The Police (lotsa filler on their albums; is it me or is Sting's voice MEGA whiny on some of those high tenor vocals he used to do?)

Talking Heads: ok, i have to pull out the hate word for David Byrne's voice.  I HATE it.  Trying to sound insane and semi off-key all the time is not hip.

The Rolling Stones -  I just don't like Jagger's voice: this is never going to change.  My wife feels the same way.

The Who - as an album band.  They have a collection of great tunes, but there isn't one album without plenty of filler

Stevie Ray Vaughan -  the fact he died clean and tragically doesn't change the fact he copped everything Hendrix did from his clothes to his playing and Jimi did it all first and better!

John Mayer - his somewhat racist attitude, his goofy "tender" singing voice...BAH!

Mariah Carrey/Whitey Houston/Celine Dion -  the Screaming MacBeth Witches who started the "screaming diva" kick that persists to this day in imitators like Beyonce, who has the most annoying hooks in her songs and manages to marry a former gangbanger like Jay Z, whom Rolling Stone can't stop slobbering over

Lady Gaga -for ripping off Madonna, whom I also don't like (sorry Kath)

Ted Nugent (nuff said)

Rod Stewart -  can't stand his voice, never could

Dave Matthews -  not the next Dead, Allmans or Phish.  Self indulgent pot fueled jamming that goes nowhere and he can't play a decent guitar solo to save his life.

Elvis - movie era and post late 1960s comeback.  The stuff with all the backing vocalists and the huge orchestras - C-R-A-P.

O.K., you hit four of my favs, Saxman!

SRV, Skynyrd, Buffett and Joe Walsh/James Gang... we've already discussed Zeppelin, and classic rock stations have destroyed Zeppelin via overplay.

Stevie Ray... yeah, Hendrix did it first, but Vaughn kept doing it, until his own untimely death. His first clean album, "In Step" is a classic. Not a fan of his brother, Jimmy

Skynryd: the wall of guitars sound and country themes are what appeals to me.

Buffett: Yeah, most of his stuff is pretty inane, but I like the beach and the water so yeah, I have an inner parrothead.

Joe Walsh: either one loves or hates him... his nasal voice is annoying, but "Walk Away" is one of my all time favorite songs.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 03:33:48 pm »

Hourman: sorry, dude, no offense meant.  That's one reason I've never worked out in rock cover bands - Zeppelin and Skynard inevitably come up and i don't want to play them.  I'm actually more of a jazz fusion/R&B guy.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:54 pm »

Hourman: sorry, dude, no offense meant.  That's one reason I've never worked out in rock cover bands - Zeppelin and Skynard inevitably come up and i don't want to play them.  I'm actually more of a jazz fusion/R&B guy.

The only Skynnyrd song I dig is What's That Smell?  I remember driving through Sandusky, OH on a hot summer night in 2001 and that song was playing on the radio.  There's a limestone quarry right near the main strip in Sandusky (US-250/Milan Rd.) and there's a stench of limestone that hangs in the air.  Some nights its worse than others.  One of my friends a few years before had dubbed it "the Sandusky Stank."  But there was something oh so appropriate about driving through Sandusky with the windows down on a hot summer night with What's that Smell? blasting on my car stereo and the foul stench from the limestone quarry hanging in the hair like a stinky wet blanket.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

None ever taken...

I like Barry Manilow for God's sake... so you know I have terrible taste Smiley

The big thing about "That Smell", Darrin, of course, is that the song was released right after the plane crash that killed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/singer Steve Gaines, background vocalist Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray on impact while the other bandmembers such as bassist Leon Wilkerson suffered serious injuries.

There has been a lot of death surrounding the band, with several surviving originals (Wilkenson and keyboardist Billy Powell) dying over the past decade... and several replacement members dying at very young ages.

For what it's worth, guitarist Gary Rossington is the only pre-crash suriving member still with the band.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 08:53:14 pm »

Wow, people have given me Pink Floyd t-shirts and today I've come to the conclusion I am SO over them.  I almost fell asleep while driving to a job fair with my wife's brother in law listening to the "Wish You Were Here" album.  The synthesizer parts on a lot of that stuff sound like bad Styx or Emerson, Lake and Palmer records and have not aged well.  No offense to fans of any of those bands.

More (preparing to duck):

Boston
Aerosmith (cut-rate Stones)
Kansas
ELO
ELP
Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat
The Allman Brothers Band post-Duane
Jethro Tull as an album band -  they are better in compilations: lots of filler on every album and I say this as a flute player
The Doobie Brothers - any incarnation

...prepares to catch first plane out of the country...... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum