"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 12:47:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5408 times)
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »

We all have a list of these.  Who are yours?  Here's mine.

David Bowie
Peter Gabriel (solo)
Joni Mitchell
The Police
Nirvana
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »

David Bowie
Peter Gabriel (solo)
Joni Mitchell
The Police
Nirvana

While I don't care for nor do I listen to most of the ones on your list, I wouldn't really say I hate any of them-- it's such a strong word.  

Bowie, I used to consider to be a bit overrated but after hearing some of his less popular/less famous material for the first time a couple of years ago I've given him another chance.  Life on Mars in particular is an excellent song... and it was good enough to give me cause to re-evaluate my initial dismissiveness of Bowie as being overrated.  

I like some of Peter Gabriel's solo material but I also find much of it to be a bit pretentious and overblown.  And while I'm a fan of Genesis, one of my least favorite albums by them is the 2CD Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as I find it to be an exercise of musical excess.  While prog-rock is traditionally known for such excesses, the rest of the band had kind of kept Gabriel in check up to that point.  And even after he left they put out a couple of really strong studio albums (A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering) showing that the tendency toward excessive self indulgence was largely due to his influence on the band.

I don't listen to Joni Mitchell and never really have thus I don't have enough knowledge of or experience with her music to really justify a strong opinion for or against her.

The Police put out some solid singles in the 80s.  But my interest with them is limited to their hit singles and maybe some of the deeper album cuts on Synchronicity.

I don't like Nirvana, never have, likely never will.  BUT I respect that they had a tremendous impact on the music of my generation and that their music had a strong impact in the lives of many of my peers... I just wasn't one of the Gen X'ers whose life was affected/touched by Nirvana.
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »

David Bowie
Peter Gabriel (solo)
Joni Mitchell
The Police
Nirvana

A good and interesting topic. Here are mine:

Cyndi Lauper. I could never stand her too-quirky voice, and she looked ridiculous. I always knew Madonna would last longer.

Cheap Trick. They just never appealed to me.

Talking Heads. I respect their place in music history, but I've never heard a Talking Heads song I wanted to hear again.

Eurythmics. Unlike Cyndi Lauper, Annie Lennox has a great voice, but Dave Stewart's keyboard arrangements leave me cold.

Dave Matthews Band. I never really bought into their aesthetic, and I think he has a whiny voice, but my main problem with them is that they dumped the waste of their bus into the Chicago River.

Finally, while I wouldn't say I hate either one, and I highly respect both as songwriters, I don't really enjoy listening to either Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
playguitar7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:23:59 am »

I love this ?uestion. 

Radiohead (not all... just... most)
Wilco (as above... just don't get the hype)

There are more I'm sure, but that'll do for now.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:32:15 am »

I like some Bowie, but some I can't stand... the same with Springsteen -love "Glory Days", despise the screaming of "Born In The USA"

Talking Heads: I only like "Burning Down The House"... no idea why.

Eurythmics: Much of their music is blah... I agree, Annie Lennox has a fantasic voice, though. Best song? "What I Lie To You?" Great 60s vibe.

Nirvanna and the Dave Matthews Band -I NEVER got either of them... their music totally disinterests me.

Here's another band whom I find wretched, yet it has a fair amount of fans: Coldplay
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:52:26 am »

Well rather than just respond to others that have been posted on here-- (although I have to agree about Dave Matthews Band, I just don't get all of the fuss).  Here are the artists that I just don't care for but have large followings or are quite popular with the critics and/or have large followings:

Bruce Springsteen - other than some of his hits like Born to Run and Glory Days I just don't get the appeal.
U2 - I dig The Joshua Tree and the song Numb but other than that I just don't get all the fuss.
The Rolling Stones - I own Beggars Banquet on CD, that's it.  I've tried listening to some of their other stuff but it bores me.  Friends have tried to get me into their music but I just don't feel it at all.
Blondie - I LOATHE Rapture and only find Heart of Glass and The Tide Is High to be marginally tolerable and only in very small doses.
Radiohead - I've tried to get into them but they fall flat with me.
Rage Against the Machine - see Radiohead... similar sentiments

Report Spam   Logged
Packercracker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:43:33 pm »

I agree that Hate is a strong word, so suffice it to say the following people/songs make me want to go find my old rusty nail and drive it into my eardrums:

everything Wilson Phillips has ever done
everything John Denver has ever done
that "You're Beautiful" by that whiny screech owl on ludes, whatever his name is
"Butterfly Kisses"
Report Spam   Logged
YourZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »

Music taste is really subjective, isn't it?  I really like Bowie, Gabriel, The Police and Nirvana but don't care at all for Joni Mitchell

My list is as follows:

John Mayer (why, oh, why?)
Dave Matthews (obviously I'm not alone with this either)
Oasis (those brothers are egotistical thugs, nothing more)
Coldplay

The big one and I'm sure it is going to get some reaction, is Bob Dylan.  I acknowledge he is a genius songwriter but I have never liked him as a performer.  Same goes for Leonard Cohen.

YourZ
Report Spam   Logged

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.  ~Confucius
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 11:09:01 am »

Music taste is really subjective, isn't it?  I really like Bowie, Gabriel, The Police and Nirvana but don't care at all for Joni Mitchell

My list is as follows:

John Mayer (why, oh, why?)
Dave Matthews (obviously I'm not alone with this either)
Oasis (those brothers are egotistical thugs, nothing more)
Coldplay

The big one and I'm sure it is going to get some reaction, is Bob Dylan.  I acknowledge he is a genius songwriter but I have never liked him as a performer.  Same goes for Leonard Cohen.

YourZ

With Mayer, I think he's a decent guitarist but his voice grates on my nerves and I find much of what he chooses to sing to be saccharine drivel. 

Couldn't agree more on Oasis!  And as you already saw we're definitely in agreement on DMB.

Coldplay I have mixed feelings about.  They have a small handful of songs I really enjoy but the rest of their material seems to have a generic sameness to it that is somewhat coma-inducing.
Report Spam   Logged
whiteray

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 09:11:26 pm »

Three older ones that come immediately to mind:

B-52s
Talking Heads
Cars

Never got 'em, likely never will.

Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »

I add The Counting Crows to my list.  I can't stand Adam Durwitz's voice.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:45:07 pm »

...Gotta agree with a BUNCH of those!!  There's some on there I'm just like, YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? (Springsteen and Nirvana...wow.  NO comment.) And, some people should REALLY just shut up and not sing EVER and just write amazing songs...Case in point, Bob Dylan.  Love his MUSIC...CAN'T STAND HIS VOICE. WhoTF told him he could sing?...Beethoven?? 

"Would I lie to You" had a WICKED HORN LINE.  Maybe that's why SOME of us gravitated to it, I'd bet. Wink  I prefer Annie Lennox Solo.  And, it's not like ANYONE ELSE besides Dave Stewart could've filled the bill on that gig--Annie Lennox was the draw.  Her voice is awesome.  He might've wrote some, or ALL for what I remember about Eurythmics, but I didn't NOT LIKE 'EM...I just had a few songs I liked, (hooray for 45's!!), and heard the albums--just never liked 'em ENOUGH to get the ALBUMS...with alot of other bands.  And I TOTALLY GET THE STONES...the only song I liked until I was about 26 was "Satisfaction"...and then all of a sudden, BLAM! "Paint it Black" was used on TOUR OF DUTY (remember that TV show? heh.)...and I couldn't get ENOUGH of their old stuff...and then, their newer stuff...then I saw 'em live tow or three times, and now, It's only rock and roll...but I like it.  heh. 

But then, there's like THE COUPLE SONG LOVERS...those band(s) or artist(s) that has three of four songs, tops--that you LOVE...but hate the rest?? (TED NUGENT or MOODY BLUES, ANYBODY? heh.)  Other than Cat Scratch Fever, Stranglehold, and Knights In White Satin,  WHO CARES??  I got a HUGE LIST of those songs/bands.  heh. 

Okay, here's a few that screamed at me to list them...heh.

Mariah Carey
Garth Brooks
Barenaked Ladies
Michael Bolton
The Cranberries
Elvis Presley (he might be able to be thrown on the list with Ted and Moody Blues...)
The Who (ditto...)
10,000 Maniacs
Eminem
Taylor Swift
Kraftwerk
Twisted Sister
Neil Diamond

And, last but not least...those bands that I LOVED BITD...and then at one point...I was like WTF HAPPENED to these pompous assholes??? 

U2 (up to, but not including JOSHUA TREE)
R.E.M. (up to, but not including FABLES OF THE RECONSTRUCTION)
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »

But then, there's like THE COUPLE SONG LOVERS...those band(s) or artist(s) that has three of four songs, tops--that you LOVE...but hate the rest?? (TED NUGENT or MOODY BLUES, ANYBODY? heh.)  Other than Cat Scratch Fever, Stranglehold,

What, not a fan of Free For All or his "love song", Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!? Wink
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:42:30 pm »

But then, there's like THE COUPLE SONG LOVERS...those band(s) or artist(s) that has three of four songs, tops--that you LOVE...but hate the rest?? (TED NUGENT or MOODY BLUES, ANYBODY? heh.)  Other than Cat Scratch Fever, Stranglehold,

What, not a fan of Free For All or his "love song", Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!? Wink

...SUNG BY A MAN IN A LOINCLOTH with a RACOON TAIL?  oh **** no.  WHAT a PIG.

(edit in) ...Damn Yankees?? HELLYEAH.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:46:16 pm by KATH » Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »

...SUNG BY A MAN IN A LOINCLOTH with a RACOON TAIL?  oh **** no.  WHAT a PIG.

But that is SOOO rock and roll!  and SOOO trademark Nuge.  I may not be crazy about all of his music, but I dig the Teddly Bear embracing rock and roll and putting his own personal stamp on it in such an overt fashion!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum