"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 03:45:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists I hate that everyone else seems to love  (Read 5410 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »

Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat
The Allman Brothers Band post-Duane

What about?:

Nazareth
Dokken
Blue Oyster Cult
Focus (other than their novelty hit Hocus Pocus and a few Jan Akkerman guitar solos I find them rather forgettable-- Akkerman solo is much more enjoyable).
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat

What about?:

Nazareth
Dokken
Blue Oyster Cult
Focus (other than their novelty hit Hocus Pocus and a few Jan Akkerman guitar solos I find them rather forgettable-- Akkerman solo is much more enjoyable).

Agreed except for BOC: I do like "Don't Fear The Reaper" and "Burnin' For You"....but that's about it.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »

Hourman: sorry, dude, no offense meant.  That's one reason I've never worked out in rock cover bands - Zeppelin and Skynard inevitably come up and i don't want to play them.  I'm actually more of a jazz fusion/R&B guy.

The only Skynnyrd song I dig is What's That Smell?  I remember driving through Sandusky, OH on a hot summer night in 2001 and that song was playing on the radio.  There's a limestone quarry right near the main strip in Sandusky (US-250/Milan Rd.) and there's a stench of limestone that hangs in the air.  Some nights its worse than others.  One of my friends a few years before had dubbed it "the Sandusky Stank."  But there was something oh so appropriate about driving through Sandusky with the windows down on a hot summer night with What's that Smell? blasting on my car stereo and the foul stench from the limestone quarry hanging in the hair like a stinky wet blanket.

Eww...I remember that smell.   LOL.  Well...it was LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the smell from JUNGLE LARRY'S JUNGLE ADVENTURE!  Speaking of stinky wet blankets...of lion mane and tiger ****.  heh. 
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 09:03:37 am »

Boston
Aerosmith (cut-rate Stones)
Kansas
ELO
ELP
Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat
Jethro Tull as an album band -  they are better in compilations: lots of filler on every album and I say this as a flute player
The Doobie Brothers - any incarnation

Boston: love the first two albums... but I know classic rock radio has done a good job of killing them. However, I have started to hear "More Than A Feeling" on the light rock stations.
ELO: I can see why. Jeff Lynn does a good job of making all of his music sound the same. I still enjoy some ELO songs (Turn To Stone, Sweet Talking Woman) but have had my fill of Evil Woman, Mr. Blue Sky...
Aerosmith: Totally agree. I can't stand them. Will listen to "Sweet Emotion" and "Dream On" if the mood strikes me, but the rest of it....
Kansas: "Dust In the Wind" and that's it.
ELP: love the musicians, but not a big fan of their work. Carl Palmer is a personal favorite via his stuff with Asia
Styx: Love Dennis DeYoung's vocals.. not a fan of "Mr. Roboto" or Kilroy Was Here album
Foreigner: Love 'em. Corportate rock, but I don't care.
REO Speedwagon: Unfortunately, they are best known for "Keep On Lovin' You", but my favorite song is "Time For Me To Fly"
Foghat: Other than, "Slow Ride" is there any more?
Jethro Tull: Totally agree.
Doobie Bros: Sorry, love them too... both incarnations.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:25 am »

Boston
Aerosmith (cut-rate Stones)
Kansas
ELO
ELP
Styx
Foreigner
REO
Foghat
Jethro Tull as an album band -  they are better in compilations: lots of filler on every album and I say this as a flute player
The Doobie Brothers - any incarnation

Boston - Love their first 2 and 4th albums (I love Walk On despite the absence of Brad Delp).  I find Third Stage to be rather bland in comparison and Corporate America only has 1 song I like the rest of the album doesn't do anything for me.
Aerosmith - Their first two albums are enjoyable but after that they really don't/didn't do much for me.  I did enjoy their music videos in the early 90s but that had far more to do with Alicia Silverstone than it did the music.
Kansas - I dig the Leftoverture and Point of Know Return albums and despite thoroughly enjoying the vocals of Elefante on Drastic Measures and Vinyl Confessions I'm not generally a fan of those albums.  The quality of the material was substantially lacking.
ELO - I enjoy much of their material but I'm happy with just the 2CD Strange Magic.  The only non-compilation albums of theirs that I enjoy are Time (because of the sci-fi concept) and Zoom (because of the Harrison and Starr contributions)
ELP - I dig Brain Salad Surgery.  I actually think that album has aged somewhat well.  Although, I'll concede Saxman's point on the rest of their material not aging well.  I prefer Greg Lake's work on the first 2 King Crimson albums and Palmer's work with Asia over ELP.
Styx - Used to listen to them incessantly and I still enjoy their 70s material.  They jumped the shark with Kilroy Was Here which I enjoyed initially but I don't believe it's aged as well as their other material.
Foreigner - I had a brief Foreigner phase.  It passed.  The only album of theirs I own is Double Vision.  I really feel that doctors should use their music for advertising-- Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded, and Double Vision would all work well.
REO - Love their 70s material.  Used to enjoy their 80s material as well but over the years I've grown bored of it.  Their debut album with Terry Luttrell (who later went on to sing lead for Starcastle) instead of Kevin Cronin is a favorite of mine.
Foghat - I concur with Hourman, they were a bit of a one-trick pony... did they have any other hits besides Slow Ride.
Allman Brothers (post Duane) - I agree with Saxman.
Jethro Tull - I agree with both Saxman and Hourman
The Doobie Brothers - I dig the Tom Johnston era stuff.  I'm not quite as keen on the Michael McDonald era.  It's a little too polished for my tastes.  The Doobies aren't supposed to sound that polished!  That's part of their appeal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:46:54 am by Perplexio » Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »

Doobies; Michael McDonald  - he sounds constipated on the Motown/Soul tribute albums.  He is always over the top anyway.  Tom Johnston can't sing on key.  But that's me.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 07:56:03 am »

I've always been split on The Doobies too.  I've always liked the Tom Johnston version, despised the MM version.  MM is such a terrible singer.  I should have put him on my original list.
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »

I've always been split on The Doobies too.  I've always liked the Tom Johnston version, despised the MM version.  MM is such a terrible singer.  I should have put him on my original list.

Another potential thread topic: Polarizing Voices. I love MM's voice, but a lot of people don't. I also love Rod Stewart's voice but again, it really grates on some people.
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »

Another potential thread topic: Polarizing Voices. I love MM's voice, but a lot of people don't. I also love Rod Stewart's voice but again, it really grates on some people.

Ooooh... Have I got a list of those. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 02:35:26 pm »

Interesting - the Mrs. and I (and the kids) are big Steely Dan fans, but a lot of people HATE Donald Fagen's voice.  It seems many also hate Water Becker's voice even more (the guitar/bass playing half of SD).  In all honesty, Becker's vocals sound a LOT like Chicago's Terry Kath and he's an excellent, underrated lead guitarist with substantial jazz/blues chops.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 02:55:33 pm »

As one who listens but is not a **** fan of Steely Dan, which of the following songs are sung by whom:

Reelin' In The Years
FM
Hey Nineteen
Peg
My Old School
Ricky, Don't Lose That Number
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »

As one who listens but is not a **** fan of Steely Dan, which of the following songs are sung by whom:

Reelin' In The Years
FM
Hey Nineteen
Peg
My Old School
Ricky, Don't Lose That Number

All are Donald Fagan who sang 99% of the leads.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:57 pm »

Supposedly Fagen sang "Do It Again" with David Palmer, another lead vocalist on the first album, "Can't Buy A Thrill."  Palmer sang "Dirty Work" and "Brooklyn" by himself.  He sang "Only A Fool Would Say That" with Fagen and "Turn That Heartbeat Over Again" with Fagen and Becker, who sings his lines in a weird falsetto, but harmonizes nicely at times with Fagen and Palmer.  No one could get the feel they were looking for on "Midnight Cruiser," so drummer Jim Hodder sang that one.  Obviously, SD was more of a traditional band at that point.

By the time of the second album, "Countdown to Ecstasy," Fagen sang all the lead vocals and Palmer contributed only a few backing vocals, but he was gone before the album was released.  From that point on, Fagen sang all lead vocals until Becker's solo track, "Book of Liars" on SD's "Alive in America," even though Fagen has confessed to disliking his own singing voice.  Becker sings this track and his other Dan lead vocal "Slang Of Ages" from the great but overlooked "Everything Must Go" (2003) in a Terry Kathish baritone, which I really enjoy.

Becker was supposed to sing about half of the tunes on SD's "Two Against Nature" comeback album (2000), but for whatever reason, the to-be-Becker vocal songs were kicked up a few steps and Fagen did the leads.  When I saw SD in 1993, they performed a few tunes that wound up on TAN with Becker singing lead.
Report Spam   Logged
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 01:27:04 pm »

While there are plenty, I couldn't reach for the station knob fast enough when Dave Matthews started playing, whatever song it was that sounded like a whino band " Whonk, whonkwonk-Whonk, WhonkWhonk-wonk"..made my blood curdle. If I couldn't get to the next station fast enough I'd be forced to hear this babling drunk/high Bob Dylan wanna be warble out incoherent jabber...

Sorry, I just really couldn't stand them. Kinda like Blues Traveler, but that may have been more because they were played every 5 minutes and I just didn't hear what was so good. "Why You wanna give me the runaround?" Cause your a big fat warbling whino. I must have not been the only one not to get it, never heard from em again...that was 16 years ago...lol

Sorry, I don't hate many bands. I may not be a fan but they had to incessantly push their one song over and over for me to get to hate mode. Like the Wallflowers "One Headlight" sorry, but both must have gone out, haven't seen you in a long time either!

Sometimes I see some acts like these and I think..."One Hit Wonder" but more in the lines of "I WONDER how they got anyone to think even ONE of their songs was good enough to be a HIT"

Again, that's the amazing and magical thing about music, to me what I have said makes 100% sense and needs no justification, but likely someone here will think I am crazy. And to me, that's cool.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 02:08:36 pm »

I despise Morrissey and his depressing music.

I don't particularly care for The Cure either.

Both were extremely popular with girls I knew during my high school/college years.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum