"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 08:31:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The solo Beach Boys

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The solo Beach Boys  (Read 4327 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

Since we've discussed the solo work of the various Beatles-- what about the solo work of the Beach Boys?:

Carl Wilson: Released 2 solo albums(s/t and Youngblood) that other than a small handful of tracks were largely forgettable.  Taking the best material from both albums MIGHT have spawned 1 halfway decent album but there's too much filler on both albums.

Dennis Wilson: Easily the most underrated of the Beach Boys.  While a sub-par drummer Dennis shines through on his solo work by proving himself to be an exceptional arranger and decent singer.  Dennis was working on a follow-up at the time of his death that was recently finally released as part of a special deluxe reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue

Brian Wilson: Given his troubles in the past who would have thought he'd outlive his 2 brothers?  Given the touring oldies act that Mike Love has turned the Beach Boys into, Brian's solo material is arguably better than the Beach Boys material recorded since his departure from the band. 

Do any of the other BB's have solo material out there?  Mike Love?  Al Jardine?  Bruce Johnston? 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »

I had that solo album Brian Wilson came out with around 1995.  I forget the name of it, sold it long ago.  It sounded a lot like "Pet Sounds" and had the minor hit "Your Imagination."  That was my brief infatuation with the "Pet Sounds" Beach Boys era.  Didn't last long.  Apparently the surviving BBs are getting back together to tour next year, probably because no one wants to see Mike Love touring as "the voice of the Beach Boys."  What a jerk.  Anyway, Brian is supposed to be part of it.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:11:35 am »

Here's the latest on the tour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/aug/17/brian-wilson-beach-boys
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:27 am »

I had that solo album Brian Wilson came out with around 1995.  I forget the name of it, sold it long ago.  It sounded a lot like "Pet Sounds" and had the minor hit "Your Imagination."  That was my brief infatuation with the "Pet Sounds" Beach Boys era.  Didn't last long.  Apparently the surviving BBs are getting back together to tour next year, probably because no one wants to see Mike Love touring as "the voice of the Beach Boys."  What a jerk.  Anyway, Brian is supposed to be part of it.

There's something about Mike Love that just oozes sleaze.  I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in an alternate dimension instead of finding them as musicians you'd be driving down some SoCal street and see a "Parazaider/Love Used Cars" as Walt Parazaider exudes a similar (although a little bit less smarmy) air.

For solo Beach Boys I thought Dennis's work was the best.  While you could hear the Beach Boys influence, you could also tell he was trying to set himself apart from the band.  I was glad to see the deluxe edition of Pacific Ocean Blue including material from his unreleased follow-up album, Bamboo released a year or two ago.  That relese was long overdue.  I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing a DVD audio version of that album to really enjoy its full majesty.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:52:14 am »

There's something about Mike Love that just oozes sleaze.  I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in an alternate dimension instead of finding them as musicians you'd be driving down some SoCal street and see a "Parazaider/Love Used Cars" as Walt Parazaider exudes a similar (although a little bit less smarmy) air.

I can see where you would want to compare the two but I'd buy a used car from Walt way before I'd buy one from Mike Love.  Love is a wife beater who married his first cousin Dennis Wilson's daughter just to **** him off.  He's been married 5 times.  Even though he's an avowed non-druggie he still went bankrupt due to his lifestyle.  He sues every member of The Beach Boys every chance he gets for any reason he can think of and single-handedly turned them into the oldies act they became instead of the hip band they were in the years immediately after Pet Sounds

Even though he's an annoying blowhard I think Walt has been a pretty stable guy, still married to the same girl for decades, is a good father and apparently still has his fortune but I still like your humorous comparison.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:15:38 am »

I can see where you would want to compare the two but I'd buy a used car from Walt way before I'd buy one from Mike Love.  Love is a wife beater who married his first cousin Dennis Wilson's daughter just to **** him off.  He's been married 5 times.  Even though he's an avowed non-druggie he still went bankrupt due to his lifestyle.  He sues every member of The Beach Boys every chance he gets for any reason he can think of and single-handedly turned them into the oldies act they became instead of the hip band they were in the years immediately after Pet Sounds

Even though he's an annoying blowhard I think Walt has been a pretty stable guy, still married to the same girl for decades, is a good father and apparently still has his fortune but I still like your humorous comparison.

So Walt is just the annoying salesman that will sell you perfectly adequate used cars at highly inflated prices... Whereas Mike Love will put a Bentley Chasis on a 72 Nova, crack open the odometer, roll it back, and try to convince you you're getting a much better car than you actually are?
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »

'72 Nova? That actually would be a good car... try a Vega instead -those things were rusting on the showroom floor.

I just would like to know whose idea this was:

Report Spam   Logged
Pegs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:31:49 pm »

Love is a wife beater who married his first cousin Dennis Wilson's daughter just to **** him off.  He's been married 5 times.  Even though he's an avowed non-druggie he still went bankrupt due to his lifestyle.  He sues every member of The Beach Boys every chance he gets for any

I don't know about him being a wife beater, I never heard that, but you have the other part backwards. It was Dennis who married Mike's daughter. They were still married at the time of Dennis' death, so she had widow's rights & decided the funeral arrangements, which at the time were said to have pissed off the rest of the family.

As for the Mike & Walt comments, I think it's funny because they're both Pisces - Walt's b-day is the day before mine & Mike's is the same day (different years!!!). Maybe y'all would find me smarmy in person too?
Report Spam   Logged

Life is too serious to be taken seriously.
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »

Love is a wife beater who married his first cousin Dennis Wilson's daughter just to **** him off.  He's been married 5 times.  Even though he's an avowed non-druggie he still went bankrupt due to his lifestyle.  He sues every member of The Beach Boys every chance he gets for any

I don't know about him being a wife beater, I never heard that, but you have the other part backwards. It was Dennis who married Mike's daughter. They were still married at the time of Dennis' death, so she had widow's rights & decided the funeral arrangements, which at the time were said to have pissed off the rest of the family.

Wasn't Dennis "buried at sea"?  I thought that President Reagan lifted the moratorium for burials at sea just for Dennis.  And wasn't Dennis also married to Robert's first ex-wife, Karen, at one point? 
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:37:04 pm »

As for the Mike & Walt comments, I think it's funny because they're both Pisces - Walt's b-day is the day before mine & Mike's is the same day (different years!!!). Maybe y'all would find me smarmy in person too?

You're right Pegs.  It was the other way around.  Don't know what I was thinking!  Anyway I've heard enough bad stories about Mike Love to know that Walt is an amateur compared to him.  Yes, Dennis was buried at sea.

Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:31 am »

Speaking of solo Beach Boys, Brian's new CD, Brian Wilson ReImagines the Gershwins comes out tomorrow (8/24).  I'm really looking forward to it. 

Brian's got a great voice and is a wonderful arranger but his lyrics trend towards the overly innocent almost child-like.

It will be nice to hear his arrangements of some of the old Gershwin standards.  There are sound clips posted on Amazon.com already for those who are interested.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum