"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 19, 2024, 06:19:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

well this is a gospel one, but there's no gospel section

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: well this is a gospel one, but there's no gospel section  (Read 490 times)
tincanman2010

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »

What an amazing and unexpected history This Little Light of Mine turns out to have.

I went on a hunt for some scratchy old field recording after nominating Sweet Honey in the Rock's version for a theme of the week (songs about euphoria) on another blog, assuming from Sweet Honey's track record that their gospel take would be faithfully rendered.

And it was, sort of. For while there is a modern gospel version of This Little Light, and Sweety Honey is faithful to it, the song has had several incarnations. But the one thing it has never been is a Negro spiritual.

This Little Light Of Mine isn't even from the south. It was written in the 1920s as a children's hymn by a white northern pastor/music teacher, Harry Dixon Loes. Inspired by one or more of several Gospels which reference the Lord's shining light, it became a staple of Sunday School teaching across the U.S.

It was The Ward Singers, legendary pioneers of the modern gospel sound, who turned it into a 'gospel' song with their 1952 recording.

Soon after, Zilphia Horton adapted it further still and taught it to Pete Seeger (as she did with We Shall Overcome) and other folk singers of the 1950s. It became a Civil Rights anthem, generally assumed to be a symbolic old slave song from the south.

Not surprisingly, This Little Light of Mine can be performed in pretty much any manner you please. I found over 30 versions.

Some of the names will be familiar (Brenda Lee, Etta James, Neko Case, Odetta, Roger McGuinn, The Seekers, Sam Cooke, Son House). Other versions, some of them even better, won't. Professor Eddie Lusk? Trombone Shorty? Doc Fozz? Are those cocktails or singers?

You can hear it by jug bands, singer-songwriters, piano players, gospel 'torch' singers. There's a capella, handclaps, finger snapping....solos, duets, 4-part harmony, large-scale choirs....

It's played on piano, fiddle, guitar, upright bass, organ, cello (the Yo-Yo Ma is delicious), with horns....

You can hear it in doo wop, country, dreamy prog folk, bluegrass, blues, gospel.... Ry Cooder even wrote a rock version for Mavis Staples

No matter who is singing, This Little Light of Mine remains a most powerful song of personal freedom, and no matter the style, some of the euphoria of salvation and purity found in that original children's hymn still shines through every time.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum