"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 05:13:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

80's radio's influence on music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 80's radio's influence on music  (Read 6499 times)
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »

not unlike Chicago bringing in Maynard Ferguson to play a trumpet solo on "Street Player."  Was Lee Loughnane doing his laundry or scoring some blow while they were recording?   Cheesy

Having been a trumpet player and owning a few of Maynard's albums all I can say is that even if Lee was there, sober and so at the top of his game that he could play 200% better, he still could not have played that part. Maynard's strong suit was his abnormally high playing. Lee could never have pulled it off. Pardon the pun here but not to toot my own horn, I managed to play notes that high (C was our low note next octave up was tuning note C then what we called "High C" which the average players never could reach, I managed a "High E") once and only once. To which the senior sitting next to me stopped playing in mid song and high fived me cause no one had ever done that to anyone's knowledge in my high school. Sadly a month or so later was "the accident" of which destroyed my ability to ever do that again or continue to improve.

Maynard could probably play that note in his sleep. I know the guy he had in the band with him the one time I got to see him might actually have blown Maynard away, he was hitting notes so high I stopped watching Maynard and kept my eyes on him, and it didn't even look like he was trying hard!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum