"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 16, 2024, 02:04:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

80's radio's influence on music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 80's radio's influence on music  (Read 6478 times)
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!!! I had no idea the lips did more than blow into the mouthpiece.

I'm also sorry about your accident, it must have killed you to no longer have that outlet. : (

Sorry I'm just now replying, for some reason I'm not getting notifications either here or at Chi Music & More.  Huh

The board company is having some issues after the move from one server to another. for a couple of days I couldn't Access the other boards topics as I was seeing some error about a board table being messed up and the directory was on the company's server and not something I could fix. At least the board fixing feature kept saying nothing was wrong, and I seem to be the only one who even saw the error, not sure why that is, but they got it fixed.

Yeah, when you play a horn you don't just blow into it. (you can actually try this and probably have) you press your lips together and make a raspberry like noise (or some might say a fart noise) and somehow that annoying sound reverberates through the metal tubes and becomes a much more pleasing musical note. I think it was the amount of control over this tightening and loosening of my lips which allowed me to play the Trombone without using the slide (could do it with a Tuba too as both of those had larger bowls in their mouth pieces. But tuba took way too much air for me. Gotta make a rather big lip raspberry to play those suckers!

Yeah, I went from respected playing my horn to trying my best to hide the fact I couldn't play. I mean I could play and eventually got back enough to play through the songs but I literally had to avoid practicing as playing before a performance would have me unable to hit anything before it was over. So warming up I had to fake entirely which didn't jive with your average band director. I managed, but after high school I realized the loss of ability was just not worth even keeping my horn as I would never be able to get it back or try to pursue any kind of even hobby playing for the future.
Thus my dream of being Lee's backup was gone forever....I kinda wonder if I even could play after all these years. I couldn't really read music well, and had to play by ear if you will, but I'd love to give it another go. Maybe someday my son wil want to play in school, and I might get a chance to try again.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum