"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 29, 2024, 06:53:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

80's radio's influence on music

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 80's radio's influence on music  (Read 6472 times)
Poem58
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:00 am »

Me, too. I also miss connecting a song to a certain time and place. Nowadays, I hear songs on my iPod or on Youtube, but in the 70s and 80s you'd hear a song all summer, or every time you went to the local pizza place, or you'd remember a friend who played it all the time in the car.

80's Flashback! You reminded me of going out to eat with my family at Pizza Makers- Dad would give us each a couple quarters for video games, and I always used one of mine in the juke box. 2 songs for a quarter- I'd just play Glory of Love twice.

And that reminds me when some friends got me to start roller skating with them I would have the disc Jockey play Hard Habit to Break every time I went there, he seemed quite annoyed after awhile but he did it anyway, it was after all a perfect "slow-skate" song.

As you can guess, this was right about the time I was about to make my first non 45, full album purchase "17", the rest is history (actually quite literally as the original lineups music was unknown to me at that time)

I find it funny Packercracker said
"So I don't exactly long for the days artist I never heard of are on the stations, because they are. What I miss is hearing something I'd never heard, liking it, wondering who sang it, and wanting to hear it again."

Which was what I was trying to say. I know even the 70's radio played more variety, but my memory of then isn't so strong due to being a smaller kid and not really paying much attention to things like variety. It just seems that in the 80's the variety was there in such a degree that the 90's became significantly noticeable how much they reduced that.

Also Packer, you said that the same station would play everything from "Air Supply to Aerosmith (except Country)" however I think you might be forgetting that these stations would also play songs like, Kenny and Dolly's "Islands In The Stream", Ronnie Milsap's "Lost in the Fifties Tonight", Alabama's "40 Hour Week (For a Livin')" and "Deep River Woman" w/Lionel Ritchie, Eddie Rabbit "Drivin My Life Away" and "I Love A Rainy Night" as well as others.

So yeah, you could find just about every type of music on the dial and many on the same station! I noticed as well in the 90's (in our area at least), that the stations as a whole began to tighten their focus with one even editing the "rap" portions of Sugar Ray's "Fly" out of the song to fit their no "No rap ever" format (something they had to eventually drop to play anything new)

The biggest thing for me was because of this diversity there were a ton of one hit wonders, you must admit that there are quite a few groups from then you'd be very unhappy to have missed that big single of theirs yet you never heard them again, or what came later just wasn't that good. Now it seems more like you can only get on the radio if you sound like most everyone else virtually guaranteeing you will be around for awhile. Which is why I think most R&B-Rap and Rock sounds so mush the same. Listen to "Halo" by Beyonce and "Already Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. I can never tell which one is which cause to me they sound virtually identical until the words begin.

When I hear the lyrics to the Black Eye'd Pea's " I got a Feeling" and heard how they basically filled in the lyrics with everything but the kitchen sink, I realized even though 80's songs sometimes had bizarre lyrics (heck many songs in many decades) this song has to be a new low in terms of just saying words to complete the rhyme. And it seems like the song is a hit!

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum