"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 16, 2024, 04:38:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

80's radio's influence on music

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 80's radio's influence on music  (Read 6480 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:56 am »

Instrumental hits: did Kenny G have any in the 1990s?  I know he racked up a ton in the 1980s...but most of his big hits from the 1990s were with vocalists, a method pianist Jim Brickman has used to great effect commercially.

There was much more diversity in the 1980s as to what was played on the radio.  I get a kick out of the '80s Pop channel at Xsport when I'm on the treadmill or aerobic stepper and am astounded as to the variety of music that was "pop" back then.  Now it's either Rap, soundalike bands like Nickelback and their endless imitators, Madonna wanna-bes like Lady Gaga (who seems to own the pop world at this moment), Beyonce's Soul Diva act with annoying song hooks or Katie Perry/Colbie Calliet types who get by on their looks.

After two years in a rock cover band grinding out 3-chord "modern adult alternative" tunes like Matchbox 20 and the like, I'm glad to be back playing jazz for a smaller, sober, more fun and more appreciative audience.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum