"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 05:43:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Black Country Communion

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Country Communion  (Read 994 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:11 pm »

Is anyone else looking forward to supergroup Black Country Communion's debut album, Black Country as much as I am?

Black Country Communion is:
Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) - Bass & Vocals
Joe Bonamassa - Guitar & Vocals
Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, ex-Alice Cooper touring keyboardist) - Keyboards
Jason Bonham (Bonham, Led Zeppelin) - Drums

British music magazine, Mojo, has already reviewed the album and given it 4 out of 5 stars.  Release date is set for 9/21/10. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KATH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:53:47 am »

...Hadn't heard about it until JUST NOW...the lineup sounds good.  I'll go check it out.  Thanks, Darrin. 
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:43 am »

The big day is coming up!  Next Tuesday 9/21/10! 

In the meantime, the first single One Last Soul is available for free download via the band's website:

http://www.bccommunion.com with the promo code OLS2010

Check it out!
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »

Picked up the album on Tuesday... It's pretty damned good.  Glenn Hughes can still sing like no one's business!  There's definitely a 70s hard rock vibe and with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham present the Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple influences are quite obvious. 

While I was never much a fan of Derek Sherinian's work with Dream Theater (he was my least favorite of their 3 keyboardists over the years) he's brilliant on this album!  In hindsight I think my hang-up with his work in Dream Theater was that he wasn't really the right fit-- exceptional keyboardist just not the right style for Dream Theater... He IS however the right keyboardist for Black Country Communion.

And Joe Bonamassa!  The dude can play some serious guitar and he's a decent vocalist too (he sings lead on 3 of the albums 12 songs).  I'm glad he did some vocals it mixes things up a bit.  I dig Hughes voice but it's good to get a little variety in the vocals.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:49:30 pm »

Sometimes music jumps out and grabs you on the first listen, other times it merely plants a seed that slowly grows inside you.  Black Country is an interesting mix of songs that do both. 

The opening title track, Black Country, grabs the listener and holds on tight with Glenn Hughes vocals and driving bass along with Jason Bonham's exceptional drumming leading the way for much of the song with Joe Bonamassa playing some solid guitar throughout.  This is the perfect opening track for the album as it is a force unto itself.  Hughes vocals are just as powerful as they were in his days in Deep Purple.

One Last Soul was the lead single released in mid-August.  While catchy with some killer vocals by Hughes, it's actually one of the weaker tracks on the album.  It lacks the punch and attitude of Black Country and some of the stronger tracks that come later on the album.

The Great Divide chugs along on the backbone of Hughes bass playing Bonham's drumming.  Hughes vocal wails are reminiscent of Robert Plant at his vocal peak in the seventies showing that even pushing sixty he still has a tremendous range and can still rock harder than many guys half his age.

While there are no weak tracks on the album and Black Country Communion is to 2010 what Them Crooked Vultures were to 2009 (THE supergroup of the year), easily the best tracks on the album are Song of Yesterday and Too Late For the Sun.  The latter of which features an extended jam that really shows what this band is capable of when allowed to stretch out and improvise, whereas the former is the antithesis of Too Late for the Sun, it's a beautiful and well constructed song from start to finish.  Where Too Late For the Sun has pure unbridled raw energy, Song of Yesterday has a more refined polish to it.  Joe Bonamassa shines throughout the album but Song of Yesterday is easily his best track on the album.  That's saying a lot given the overall strength of the album.

This album was recorded rather quickly, most songs were cut with as few takes as possible which gives the album a very pure energy.  There's a rawness to the material that speaks to the general spirit of classic rock and at the same time enough polish to really display the brilliant talents of each of the band members.

Black Country Communion has captured the spirit and vibe of the bands that inspired them.  If you're jonesin' for some twenty-first century classic rock this album should top your list!

One Last Soul Live:

(original review @: http://perplexio76.blogspot.com/2010/10/black-country-communion-black-country.html)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum