"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 05:07:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Favorite movies about music/musicians

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite movies about music/musicians  (Read 3511 times)
drewzepmeister

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »

Loved Almost Famous! It's one of the best films I had ever seen! I thought movies like The Blues Brothers and The Doors were excellent. Movies like Dazed and Confused, Detroit Rock City and the School of Rock were fun to watch! I remember sneaking out of my house at night to see midnight showings of Pink Floyd The Wall and The Song Remains the Same when I was a teenager. Rattle and Hum was good. It Might Get Loud is a must see documentary featuring Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:06 pm »

Loved Almost Famous! It's one of the best films I had ever seen! I thought movies like The Blues Brothers and The Doors were excellent. Movies like Dazed and Confused, Detroit Rock City and the School of Rock were fun to watch! I remember sneaking out of my house at night to see midnight showings of Pink Floyd The Wall and The Song Remains the Same when I was a teenager. Rattle and Hum was good. It Might Get Loud is a must see documentary featuring Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White.

Pirate Radio was pretty good too as was That Thing You Do.  I've got to give Tom Hanks a lot of credit on That Thing You Do-- he was able to have new music written for the movie that sounded like it was from the era the movie was set in.  All of the songs in that film sounded like they had been recorded in the early 60s, not the mid-90s. 

"Are you kidding?!  A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio!  I'm signin'.  You're signin'.  We're all signin'!"

Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »

Wasn't much of a fan of "That Thing You Do"... thought it had a great premise (and I love the title track song), but felt that it was an idea (about what happened to one hit wonders in the 1960s) that really didn't have much of a storyline past the usual "Behind The Music" type of stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:47 pm »

Wasn't much of a fan of "That Thing You Do"... thought it had a great premise (and I love the title track song), but felt that it was an idea (about what happened to one hit wonders in the 1960s) that really didn't have much of a storyline past the usual "Behind The Music" type of stuff.

I saw it more as self-parodying portrayal of the music industry in the 60s and in that regard I thought it worked to delightful effect.  Listing Ethan Embry in the credits as "T.B. Player" (if you pay attention in the film, he's never referred to by his name only ever as "The bass player") was an amusing touch.  And there was the overly self-important lead singer/guitarist, Jimmy (played by Jonathon Schaech), the foolish and amusing (overall the comic relief of the entire film) guitarist-- Lenny (played brilliantly by Steve Zahn), and the lynchpin the one guy with the good head on his shoulders-- Guy (Tom Everett Scott).

I also got a kick out of Charlize Theron as Guy's disinterested girlfriend who would rather visit her dentist than go see her boyfriend perform live (a cliche, but done very tongue in cheek in the film).
Report Spam   Logged
dianadadly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:53 am »

Thank you for sharing.  :oGreat
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum