"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 12:38:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Definitive bands of the 80s

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Definitive bands of the 80s  (Read 2692 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:46:32 am »

There are a bunch of Australian bands that define the 80s for me, some known and some obscure, and include: INXS, Split Enz (although from NZ), The Church, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil, Spy Vs Spy, Bear Garden, Do Re Mi, Cold Chisel, Kam Sha, Straightjacket Fits and The Chills (more NZ bands), The Venetians, Real Life, Hunters And Collectors, Paul Kelly & The Messengers, The Sunnyboys, Icehouse, The Divinyls, The Boys Next Door (lead vocalist was Nick Cave) and the Bad Seeds.

I've heard of and enjoy several of those myself-- INXS, Split Enz, Cold Chisel, Hunters & Collectors, Icehouse, and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.  Of those I especially enjoy Hunters & Collectors & Cold Chisel.  H&C's rhythm section is groovalicious and Mark Seymour is a solid songwriter with a distinct and enjoyable voice... and they have a horn section to boot! 

Cold Chisel! Love Jimmy Barnes man.  That cat has a voice on him like nobody's biznitch!  It doesn't get much more Aussie than those guys!  For their uptempo stuff my fave is probably Goodbye (Astrid) or the iconic Khe Sanh for their slower stuff I really dig When the War Is Over and Flame Trees.  That bit in When the War Is Over when Jimmy starts singing (I believe the final verse after Prestwich sings the first 2 verses) gives me chills. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum