"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 01:03:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Tony Peluso has died

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony Peluso has died  (Read 990 times)
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:20:27 pm »

I just found out that Tony Peluso, The lead guitarist for The Carpenters (my #1 guilty pleasure of all time) died last month at age 60. He is most famous for playing the oldies DJ on their Now & Then album and for that great guitar solo on "Goodbye To Love." You can see it on YouTube here:

Here he gives Richard Carpenter credit for inventing the power ballad.  The video is poor quality.  You'll need to turn up the volume to understand what Tony and Richard are saying.  Do you guys agree that this song could qualify as the first one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8eJH3kIdF8&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:16:02 am by Charlie » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »

I was reminded of a memory regarding The Carpenters.  Due to the fact that all of The Carpenters backing vocals on their recordings were Richard and Karen overdubbed about 800 times, when they performed on TV, they often mimed.  On one TV appearance, the band lip synched "Close to You," with the sax player holding his horn and mouthing background vocals along with Tony Peluso and the rest of "the band," including the drummer and bassist (Karen wasn't exactly the world's greatest drummer and didn't play drums that much on stage). 

My mom said, "My, either they are miming or all those fellows have very high voices!"

My dad, a musician, said, "It's probably a fake job, I hate it when people mime!"  Ever a purist, my dad was!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:27:03 pm by Saxman » Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »

My dad, a musician, said, "It's probably a fake job, I hate it when people mime!"  Ever a purist, my dad was!

If they're going to mime they should at least put on the white face paint first. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »

If they're going to mime they should at least put on the white face paint first. Wink

True!  Also known as lip synching in some parts!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum