"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 08:31:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The John Lennon Remasters

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The John Lennon Remasters  (Read 2019 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »

About the only solo Lennon I delved into was his Live in NYC and his John Lennon Collection.  Much like the other Beatles, I was generally underwhelmed by his solo material.  I took marginally more interest in the solo works of George and Paul.  I dig ELO so I especially enjoyed the Jeff Lynne produced solo material by George.

Wow, ELO: dug them back in the 1970s/1980s until I found out their concerts were all Mili Vanili fake as in total lip synch jobs.  Now their stuff sounds '800 Ways to Rewrite "I am the Walrus" ' to me.  Like Boston, except for drums, the leader (Jeff Lynne) pretty much played all the instruments on their albums.  the string players "in the band" were replaced by entire orchestras on the records and live.  They looked like they were playing, but it was fake.  Two cellos and a violin cannot sound the same as an entire string orchestra!

Anyway, I have little  tolerance for solo George aside from "All Things Must Pass": I think the Jeff Lynne productions sound like ELO with Harrison on lead vocals.

With ELO, I stuck to their studio releases.  Some bands are just better left in the studio.  Given the production wizardry of Jeff Lynne, ELO certainly falls into that category.  Since I dig their sound, and Harrison's voice... "Harrison singing ELO" is a sound/style I actually quite enjoy(ed).  I really enjoyed his homage to his former bandmates, When We Was Fab... Although, admittedly it is one of the most egregious offenders of ELO soundalike of all the songs Lynne produced for Harrison. 

That being said, my favorite ELO album was one of their 80s albums, Time.  I guess that's the sci-fi buff in me just digging on the whole sci-fi concept of the album (incidentally, speaking of sci-fi concept albums, I also thoroughly enjoy Alan Parsons Project's I, Robot-- although not as much as Eve or Pyramid).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum