"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 02:50:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The John Lennon Remasters

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The John Lennon Remasters  (Read 2007 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:14:36 pm »

Is anyone planning to pop for any of the remastered solo John Lennon material due out the first week of October?  It has been done by the same team that did the Beatles remasters from last year. Here are some links:

The Big Box:

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Box-John-Lennon/dp/B003TVMIDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347329&sr=1-1

The Mini-Box of Highlights:

http://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Some-Truth-John-Lennon/dp/B003Y8YXF8/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_c

Double Fantasy stripped down:

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Stripped-Original-Recording-Remastered/dp/B003Y8YXH6/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

I put this in the 1970s since Lennon recorded/released the majority of his solo material in the 1970s.  Feel free to move if you feel it belongs in the 1960s with The Beatles.  In addition, Paul McCartney is beginning his own remaster/reissue campaign on former jazz powerhouse Concord Records (now sort of an "everything" label) with a remastered "Band On The Run":

3 CD 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Run-Deluxe-1DVD-Combo/dp/B003XX2O8W/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347713&sr=1-3

2 CD 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Run-Special-1DVD-Combo/dp/B003W2HKSS/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347713&sr=1-4

Thoughts?  Opinions?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KATH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »

Thoughts?  Opinions? 

...unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for y'all), I'm as beatled out as I am Chicagoed out...but I will say this:  The kid who used to **** on the nuns off his roof did well for himself...RIP. 
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »

Is anyone planning to pop for any of the remastered solo John Lennon material due out the first week of October?  It has been done by the same team that did the Beatles remasters from last year. Here are some links:

The Big Box:

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Box-John-Lennon/dp/B003TVMIDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347329&sr=1-1

The Mini-Box of Highlights:

http://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Some-Truth-John-Lennon/dp/B003Y8YXF8/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_c

Double Fantasy stripped down:

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Stripped-Original-Recording-Remastered/dp/B003Y8YXH6/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

I put this in the 1970s since Lennon recorded/released the majority of his solo material in the 1970s.  Feel free to move if you feel it belongs in the 1960s with The Beatles.  In addition, Paul McCartney is beginning his own remaster/reissue campaign on former jazz powerhouse Concord Records (now sort of an "everything" label) with a remastered "Band On The Run":

3 CD 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Run-Deluxe-1DVD-Combo/dp/B003XX2O8W/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347713&sr=1-3

2 CD 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Run-Special-1DVD-Combo/dp/B003W2HKSS/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1285347713&sr=1-4

Thoughts?  Opinions?

About the only solo Lennon I delved into was his Live in NYC and his John Lennon Collection.  Much like the other Beatles, I was generally underwhelmed by his solo material.  I took marginally more interest in the solo works of George and Paul.  I dig ELO so I especially enjoyed the Jeff Lynne produced solo material by George.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:52:31 pm »

About the only solo Lennon I delved into was his Live in NYC and his John Lennon Collection.  Much like the other Beatles, I was generally underwhelmed by his solo material.  I took marginally more interest in the solo works of George and Paul.  I dig ELO so I especially enjoyed the Jeff Lynne produced solo material by George.
[/quote]

Wow, ELO: dug them back in the 1970s/1980s until I found out their concerts were all Mili Vanili fake as in total lip synch jobs.  Now their stuff sounds '800 Ways to Rewrite "I am the Walrus" ' to me.  Like Boston, except for drums, the leader (Jeff Lynne) pretty much played all the instruments on their albums.  the string players "in the band" were replaced by entire orchestras on the records and live.  They looked like they were playing, but it was fake.  Two cellos and a violin cannot sound the same as an entire string orchestra!

Anyway, I have little  tolerance for solo George aside from "All Things Must Pass": I think the Jeff Lynne productions sound like ELO with Harrison on lead vocals.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »

Wow, ELO: dug them back in the 1970s/1980s until I found out their concerts were all Mili Vanili fake as in total lip synch jobs.  Now their stuff sounds '800 Ways to Rewrite "I am the Walrus" ' to me.  Like Boston, except for drums, the leader (Jeff Lynne) pretty much played all the instruments on their albums.  the string players "in the band" were replaced by entire orchestras on the records and live.  They looked like they were playing, but it was fake.  Two cellos and a violin cannot sound the same as an entire string orchestra!

Anyway, I have little  tolerance for solo George aside from "All Things Must Pass": I think the Jeff Lynne productions sound like ELO with Harrison on lead vocals.

With ELO, I stuck to their studio releases.  Some bands are just better left in the studio.  Given the production wizardry of Jeff Lynne, ELO certainly falls into that category.  Since I dig their sound, and Harrison's voice... "Harrison singing ELO" is a sound/style I actually quite enjoy(ed).  I really enjoyed his homage to his former bandmates, When We Was Fab... Although, admittedly it is one of the most egregious offenders of ELO soundalike of all the songs Lynne produced for Harrison. 

That being said, my favorite ELO album was one of their 80s albums, Time.  I guess that's the sci-fi buff in me just digging on the whole sci-fi concept of the album (incidentally, speaking of sci-fi concept albums, I also thoroughly enjoy Alan Parsons Project's I, Robot-- although not as much as Eve or Pyramid).
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:20 am »

I guess George (and John, Paul and Ringo to be honest) had SO much incredible talent as The Beatles that I hold them up to an impossibly high solo standard, which they would never reach.  Again, better together than apart, for sure, probably one reason anything with the magic words "The Beatles" sells so well, because the standard was SO incredibly high when they were together.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:45:08 pm »

As a possible last word on this topic, I was in the car driving with the family today and had the 2 CD John Lennon "Working Class Hero" set on.  Ya know, a lot of his solo stuff is TOO intense and not really enjoyable.  Something is missing...Paul?  George?  Ringo?  Wink

There was certainly no Paul to balance his more caustic tendencies.  I find my favorite stuff of his to be the last (HIS tracks from "Double Fantasy" and "Milk and Honey") and a handful of singles ("Power To The People," "Imagine, " "#9 Dream," "Stand By Me," "Give Peace A Chance" and of course, the awesome "Instant Karma!").

Paul, on the other hand, needed John to keep him from his overly sweet and bubblegummy leanings.  About the only Wings stuff I can stomach is "Band On The Run."
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 05:30:37 pm »

As a possible last word on this topic, I was in the car driving with the family today and had the 2 CD John Lennon "Working Class Hero" set on.  Ya know, a lot of his solo stuff is TOO intense and not really enjoyable.  Something is missing...Paul?  George?  Ringo?  Wink

There was certainly no Paul to balance his more caustic tendencies.  I find my favorite stuff of his to be the last (HIS tracks from "Double Fantasy" and "Milk and Honey") and a handful of singles ("Power To The People," "Imagine, " "#9 Dream," "Stand By Me," "Give Peace A Chance" and of course, the awesome "Instant Karma!").

Paul, on the other hand, needed John to keep him from his overly sweet and bubblegummy leanings.  About the only Wings stuff I can stomach is "Band On The Run."

Honestly, I'd actually prefer to listen to Julian Lennon's work over that of the solo material of his father.  His father's great voice but the music isn't as caustic and is considerably more accessible.
Report Spam   Logged
Hourman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »

I think the Beatles solo work spoke a lot to the greatness of George Martin, much like the early Chicago records did James William Guercio.

In both cases, I think the producer knew how to create a sound out of compromise, and make it sound brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

I think the Beatles solo work spoke a lot to the greatness of George Martin, much like the early Chicago records did James William Guercio.

In both cases, I think the producer knew how to create a sound out of compromise, and make it sound brilliant.

I also like what George Martin did for Little River Band on their Time Exposure album back in '81.  He also brought in bass player/vocalist Wayne Nelson to replace the departed David Briggs augment the LRB sound.  Under Martin's direction they scored a hit, The Night Owls with Nelson on lead vocals and Take It Easy On Me and Man On Your Mind with Glenn Shorrock on vocals.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:00 am »

i agree with both of you: George Martin was a vital part of the Beatles team.  In many cases he juggled song structure such as opening a song with the chorus instead of the verse, contributed instrumental ideas, etc.  That was another reason that with few exceptions, the Fab Four's solo recordings weren't on the same level as their group outings.  Martin also did excellent work with America:  once he was out of the picture, their recording quality and career really fell apart.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 06:08:54 am »

Well, the big day has come and gone (Lennon remasters).  I'm in the process of reading "Magical Mystery Tours" by longtime Beatles friend and employee Tony Bramwell and it's put me in an even more anti-Yoko mood than before.  According to this text, she pursued Lennon relentlessly, not the other way around as he liked to tell it.  She has seemed to be on a quest for $, no doubt fueled by certain expensive habits both legal and illegal.  So...I'm not buying anything.  I already have all the listenable solo Lennon anyway, courtesy of the earlier reissues of his albums on CD.  Pass.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »

I agree about George Martin.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:06 am »

My wife gave me the 4 disc 'Gimme Some Truth" boxed set for Sweetest Day.  The sound is excellent and the set includes all of "Rock and Roll" and "Plastic Ono Band."  "Imagine," "Mind Games," "Walls and Bridges," "Double Fantasy" and "Milk and Honey" are missing only one track each (in the case of the latter two albums, that would be one "John track" each, no Yoko singing except for her tuneless braying on "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Happy Xmas -War Is Over".....but even her "singing" can't sink that Xmas classic), none of which are essential.  There are a couple live tracks not included in the big box and "Some Time In NYC" (perhaps Lennon's most unlistenable release post-Wedding album trilogy with Yoko) has only a smattering of tracks, but that's fine with me.  All in all, for $30 (what she paid for it on Amazon), for a 4 disc set packed with over 70 minutes of music per disc, it's a great buy.  I like the themed approach of the discs and it actually makes his solo stuff more interesting to listen to.

I'm wondering if Sir Paul is going to follow suit with his own retrospective boxed set now that the Lennon one is out there.  The "Band On The Run" boxed set is due next month, kicking off his remaster campaign with Concord Records, as he felt Capital/EMI was taking him for granted.  Or something like that.  Personally, I think last year's 2CD/1DVD "Live In NYC" is probably the only Paul album or boxed set anyone ever needs from him: he kicks much harder live and even the ballads lose a lot of their sugar coating in the concert setting.

That company (Capital/EMI) is in a world of trouble, having lost Macca's solo catalog and recently lost a case with Pink Floyd for future CD pressings and digital sales.  The bulk of that label's revenue (which was purchased a couple of years ago in a foolish move for an astronomical sum) has been mostly from The Beatles and Pink Floyd catalog items, with a smattering of solo Paul and John.  I'm sure they will see some revenue injection with the Lennon remasters and boxed sets, but nothing along the lines of last year's Beatles campaign.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum