"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 07:16:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Steve Hackett

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Hackett  (Read 735 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:25 am »

I was a bit late to the game when I started getting into early Genesis.  But what immediately jumped out at me was the guitar playing of Steve Hackett.  Hackett joined in 1972 replacing founding member, Anthony Phillips, who left due to issues with stagefright when performing live.  It's Hackett's albums with Genesis (1972's Nursery Cryme through 1977's Wind & Wuthering) that I enjoy the most.  Hackett's solo debut, Voyage of the Acolyte was actually released two years before he left the band and includes Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, and Tony Banks all guesting in various capacities and levels of involvement.

Since leaving Genesis, Hackett has delved into various different styles of music-- World Music, Flamenco, Classical, Jazz, and Progressive rock.  Much of his solo material is instrumental, but Hackett does ocassionally sing.  His voice is reminiscent of Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and Roger Waters. 

I recently picked up his 2010 solo album, Out of the Tunnel's Mouth.  The music is beautiful and brilliant!  This guy never ceases to amaze me!  He is easily one of the most versatile guitarists I've ever heard... There are some singers whose voices give me chills... but the only guitarist to accomplish that feat with his playing is Steve Hackett. 

The album touches on all the various different styles that Hackett has dabbled in over the years and is one of his best, and I'd argue IS his best since 1999's Darktown.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:14:54 pm »

This guitar solo is what sold me on Hackett...  Not this specific one, but the guitar solo from Firth of Fifth:

This one is especially interesting though as Hackett assembled a Who's who of prog rock:

Chester Thompson (Genesis) - drums
John Wetton (Asia, UK, King Crimson)- Bass & Vocals
Julian Colbeck - Keyboards
Ian MacDonald - (King Crimson) Flute

Wetton does a great job on the bass on this particular performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:02 am »

I don't know why but Genesis was one of those bands that never did it for me and that includes both the Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins eras.  I don't own a single Genesis song but I do like Hackett's guitar playing.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum