"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
April 19, 2024, 03:39:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Traveling Wilburys

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Traveling Wilburys  (Read 1054 times)
Saxman

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:50:47 am »

Any Beatles, ELO, Petty, Orbison or Dylan fans into this "supergroup?"  I recently listened to the remastered first album (Vol. 1) for the first time in years yesterday.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Everyone seems to really be having a great time.

2. I still say Jeff Lynne (ELO) makes everyone he produces sound like ELO, although there are a lot more acoustic guitar textures here than you'd ever find on a typical ELO album.  There are some keyboard strings and textures here and there that totally date the album.  It SCREAMS 1980s, which I guess makes sense...

3. Dylan is in sharper form here than he was for most of the 80s.  In fact, he steals several tunes with his sly wit.  I particularly like "Tweeter and the Monkey Man," his ruthless satire of early Springsteen (and let's face it, The Boss copped a ton from Dyan: even he admits it).

4. George Harrison and Roy Orbison could REALLY sing, even as they aged a bit.  This was not an auto tune special!  Harrison's slide guitar is wonderful (I think it's him, it sounds like him, but no individual track credits are given...although Lynne copped a lot of HIS slide playing from George...what didn't he steal from The Beatles?).

5. Tom Petty sounds comically lightweight vocally, even next to Dylan and that's saying a lot (I say this as a Dylan fan).

6. The whole thing sounds dashed off in about a week, which is was, with goofy lyrical couplets that are put together just to rhyme.

7. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when the album was new, but it's held up better than a lot of big 80s albums, including "Born In The USA."

Any other opinions?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:38 am »

Yesterday I listened to Vol. 3 (the second album, LOL!) while working out at the health club.  Some thoughts:

1. Does NOT sound like ELO this time out, much closer to a roots rock with saxes sound like The Iguanas from New Orleans

2. More of a group effort than Vol. 1, which was dominated more by Dylan: everyone has several spotlights, although Jeff Lynne is mostly a background vocalist once again

3. Totally underrated album, possibly because of the absence of Roy Orbison

4. I enjoyed this album much more now than when it was originally released, the opposite of Vol. 1.

You can find the 3 disc set (the two studio albums and a DVD of videos/documentary) for as low as $12 new from some Amazon merchants if any of you ELO/Beatles/Petty/Orbison/Dylan fans are interested.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

Yesterday I listened to Vol. 3 (the second album, LOL!) while working out at the health club.  Some thoughts:

1. Does NOT sound like ELO this time out, much closer to a roots rock with saxes sound like The Iguanas from New Orleans

2. More of a group effort than Vol. 1, which was dominated more by Dylan: everyone has several spotlights, although Jeff Lynne is mostly a background vocalist once again

3. Totally underrated album, possibly because of the absence of Roy Orbison

4. I enjoyed this album much more now than when it was originally released, the opposite of Vol. 1.

You can find the 3 disc set (the two studio albums and a DVD of videos/documentary) for as low as $12 new from some Amazon merchants if any of you ELO/Beatles/Petty/Orbison/Dylan fans are interested.

I read that Del Shannon was supposed to have replaced Roy Orbison however Shannon commit suicide before he had a chance to record anything with these guys.  I do sometimes wonder what they would have sounded like had Shannon been involved in the project.
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:47:37 pm »

LOL!!  This used to DRIVE ME BATSHIT.  I know those guys think they're SLICK--but THEIR FANS? Not so much...try to explain that to the "run-of-the-mill" customer...(usually some dude with a chick he's tryin' to impress hangin' off his arm--same ones that come in to say they want "NOW YOU'RE MESSIN' WITH A SON OF A ****"......COME TO MAMA, MORONS...heh.):

"Traveling Wilburys...here ya go. Y'all need anything else? (after the TOTAL EYE ROLL FROM BOTH OF THEM...)"
"...I need the second one."
"That IS the second one...there's only two Volumes..."
"What a stupid ****...IT SAYS VOLUME 3...is there A DUDE OR A MANAGER I CAN TALK TO?"
"DUDE--YOU'RE TALKIN' TO THE MANAGER...and you don't need to have a **** to KNOW MUSIC...Want my BOSS' NAME now??"   Wink

AND, MY WORK IS DONE HERE.  heh.

Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »

LOL!!  This used to DRIVE ME BATSHIT.  I know those guys think they're SLICK--but THEIR FANS? Not so much...try to explain that to the "run-of-the-mill" customer...(usually some dude with a chick he's tryin' to impress hangin' off his arm--same ones that come in to say they want "NOW YOU'RE MESSIN' WITH A SON OF A ****"......COME TO MAMA, MORONS...heh.):

"Traveling Wilburys...here ya go. Y'all need anything else? (after the TOTAL EYE ROLL FROM BOTH OF THEM...)"
"...I need the second one."
"That IS the second one...there's only two Volumes..."
"What a stupid ****...IT SAYS VOLUME 3...is there A DUDE OR A MANAGER I CAN TALK TO?"
"DUDE--YOU'RE TALKIN' TO THE MANAGER...and you don't need to have a **** to KNOW MUSIC...Want my BOSS' NAME now??"   Wink

AND, MY WORK IS DONE HERE.  heh.

Typical George Harrison pun (Vol. 3 instead of 2).  When he wasn't being all spiritual (not that that's a bad thing, but when it's "I have God and you don't," well....), he was a pretty goofy and funny guy.  As much as I'm  not a huge Jeff Lynne fan, he got some good work out of Harrison on the 1980s and "Brainwashed," his posthumous last album, even if I don't always love his production style.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum