"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 06:33:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Misheard Lyrics-- accidentally and accidentally on purpose

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Misheard Lyrics-- accidentally and accidentally on purpose  (Read 2194 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »

My father is known for mis-hearing things or misunderstanding things he hears... The ultimate gem as far as misheard lyrics:

He heard Under the Boardwalk as I've Got a Boiler Problem.  He didn't like the song and complained that it didn't make any sense... well with his version of the lyrics, he's absolutely right.

Not to be outdone one of my older brothers often came up with his own lyrics to popular songs... He knew what the real lyrics were but it didn't stop the following from happening...

Tom Petty's Free Fallin' became Heat Lightnin'
Falco's Rock My Amadeus became Rock Me I'm a Danish (and by Danish he meant breakfast pastry, not someone from Denmark).
Franki Valli's My Eyes Adored Ya became My Eyes in Georgia

And I too have picked up the gene and carried on the tradition with...

Chicago's Saturday In the Park becoming Sabbath Day Eating Pork
Semisonic's Closing Time becoming Soccer Mom
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KATH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:34:07 pm »

...ya forgot one of the CLASSICS...

"Excuse me while I kiss this guy..."   Roll Eyes

and MY FRIEND FAVORITE...I had a buddy that thought "OUR LIPS ARE SEALED" was 'down at Lucille's'  LMAO!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pegs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »

"Eat Me, I'm A Danish" was a popular parody in Chicago when Johnny B. still did mornings on WLUP. From that, when people would call the station/him, the first words out were always "Hey, Johnny - EAT ME!".

I read years ago that Hendrix put out the bogus info on the misheard lyric, that it really was 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy, & he put out the story to screw with peoples' heads (and for a laugh).  So, take your pick which is correct. Smiley

Since reading it in a Dave Barry column years ago, every time I hear "Jet Airliner" on the radio, I sing "Ohwhoaoh, Big Ol' Jed Had A Light On". It never sounded like that to me, but hearing it shortly after reading that, maybe/kinda/sort. Maybe not, but it's stuck in my head.

As is....Back in 1970, my sister was loaded one night & the utterly dreadful song "Patches" came on the radio, & she started singing along. She did ok until the lines "Every morning 'fore I went to school - I fed the chickens & I chopped wood, too."  She came out with "Every moning 'fore I went to school - I chopped the chickens & I felt the mules." Whether that was deliberate or chemically induced, I'll never know, but it's stuck in my head (and cracks me up when I think of it).

A personal tongue trip is from my Pizza Hut days. The salad consisted of lettuce, red cabbage & carrots. One day, I was talking too fast & it came out "red cabbots & carriage". Once. One time. 30 years later, I still have to slow down & deliberately pronounce the words.

However, I CAN say "Unique New York" 3 times fast. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Life is too serious to be taken seriously.
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:15:59 am »

My wife told me her little sister used to sing When a Man Loves a Woman as "If a Man Was a Woman."
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:46 pm »

Hendrix sang, "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy!" on many live recordings of "Purple Haze."
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »

There's that  Tempted By the Fruit of Another song that I used to sing as Tainted By The Fruit of Your Mother.

Speaking of mothers, I've also heard John Mayer's Your Body is a Wonderland referred to as Your Mommy Owns a Taco Stand.
Report Spam   Logged
CelticGal

Banjos, bon gos, bagpipes, brass - I like them all

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:29:18 pm »

"Go ahead and hate Joe Namath, go ahead and cheat a friend,
Do it in a Native headband, you're a justified Indian." - One Tin Soldier

What did Joe Namath ever do to upset the writers of this song?

Then there's Rick James singing about "The kind of girl you read about in Newsweek Magazine."
Report Spam   Logged

Becky
"If you get confused, listen to the music play."  - Robert Hunter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum