"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 11:41:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sir Edward Elgar

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Edward Elgar  (Read 1836 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:27:40 pm »

I recently read a blog posting about Sir Edward Elgar (http://luminousmuse.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/my-dad-and-elgar/) that gave me pause and prompted me to seek out some of Sir Edward's material at my local library.  Elgar is best known for the graduation staple, Pomp & Circumstance but there's so much more to Elgar than that one piece.  There's a lush beauty and a youthful innocence to his material.  In some ways one might even argue that Sir Edward's innocence is to classical music what Brian Wilson's innocence was/is to pop music.  I've been listening to his Wand of Youth I & II and Nursery Suites.

So far I'm quite enjoying the material and will likely seek out more of Elgar's material in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KATH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »

**patting myself on the back**

COOL!!  I knew "Pomp & Circumstance" by just the name!!--a thing I used to do all the time--but really can't remember a lot of that stuff now...I've forgotten a LOT.  That was a game--we'd take turns--yell out a name, and you had to figure out what piece of music they were famous for...It was a lot easier with artists like "Joe Walsh", granted...the classical guys were the ones we had to THINK ABOUT! 

Howevah--that piece of music is the ONLY ONE I KNOW by Elgar.  That's what EVERYONE wanted when they came in looking for the "graduation music".  I'm goin' to the library in the morning...I'll see what I can find as well! 

LOL!!  speaking of music, someone just called me "harmony house Kathy" on FB.  A dubious honor, I guess.  heh. 

PEACE--Kath
Report Spam   Logged
luminous muse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:16:25 am »

Hey, thanks for the HT!  Some suggestions for further Elgar: Enigma Variations, Cello Concerto, Cockaigne (In London Town), Piano quintet.
Then the Oratorios - Gerontious is the most famous, but they are all good (but very long by contemporary standards.)

I could go on but that's enough for weeks of listening.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum