"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 10:16:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

KID ROCK "Born Free" VIDEO--check it out!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KID ROCK "Born Free" VIDEO--check it out!!  (Read 1236 times)
KATH

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:45:03 am »

Mornin' Peeps! 

My FAVORITE COWBOY, Bob Richie--aka KID ROCK--has a new CD, which streets on 11/16...it's called "BORN FREE"  This is the video for the title track, which was FILMED ENTIRELY ON LOCATION...in Michigan.  The scenery is pretty SWEET!!  This  was shot in the Upper Peninsula, at Pictured Rocks National Park...and video and pictures just REALLY don't do it justice...even THIS. 

I wasn't totally sure where to put it...I'm sure if it's not in the right place, SOMEONE  Kiss  will put it in the correct forum...ENJOY. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3rsha1ZtI&feature=player_embedded

PEACE--Kath
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:50 pm »

I know he's a favorite son in Michigan but I've never been able to get into his music.  There's only one song of his I like.... That duet he did with Sheryl Crow a few years back, I think it was called Photograph.

I absolutely loathe All Summer Long and consider not just a bad song but an insult to humanity.  Combining 2 songs I like Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London and giving them completely different lyrics... blech!

Oh and on a different, but related note-- does anyone else find it particularly odd/wrong that KENTUCKY Fried Chicken uses Sweet Home ALABAMA in their commercials?
Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »

I know he's a favorite son in Michigan but I've never been able to get into his music.  There's only one song of his I like.... That duet he did with Sheryl Crow a few years back, I think it was called Photograph.

And that's the only one of his songs I DON'T LIKE...Since I feel the exact same way about Sheryl Crow! (I only like 2 of her songs...EVERYDAY IS A WINDING ROAD and ALL I WANNA DO.)   

I absolutely loathe All Summer Long and consider not just a bad song but an insult to humanity.  Combining 2 songs I like Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London and giving them completely different lyrics... blech!

REALLY?? Well, dude, I'm callin' ya on that--because you seem to think it's perfectly okay for WEIRD AL to "desicrate" music--why the double standard??  The only song I've ever liked of HIS was "like a Surgeon."  Is it because you just don't like KID ROCK or is there another reason?  Can you explain/elaborate?  just sayin'... Smiley

Oh and on a different, but related note-- does anyone else find it particularly odd/wrong that KENTUCKY Fried Chicken uses Sweet Home ALABAMA in their commercials?

LOL!!!  I HAVEN'T!!  I haven't even been able to STAND THE SMELL OF IT FOR 5 1/2 years...I don't pay particular attention to the commercials any more...LOL.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:59:27 pm »

And that's the only one of his songs I DON'T LIKE...Since I feel the exact same way about Sheryl Crow! (I only like 2 of her songs...EVERYDAY IS A WINDING ROAD and ALL I WANNA DO.)   

Well I'm not crazy about Sheryl Crow either.  That duet is one of only 2 of her songs that I like.  The other is a bit more obscure, Sad Sad World her song about and in tribute to the late Kevin Gilbert.  It's got the great lyric, "Sometimes enemies make the most interesting friends."  And I like that tribute more because I'm a fan of the late KG than because of Sheryl Crow.

REALLY?? Well, dude, I'm callin' ya on that--because you seem to think it's perfectly okay for WEIRD AL to "desicrate" music--why the double standard??  The only song I've ever liked of HIS was "like a Surgeon."  Is it because you just don't like KID ROCK or is there another reason?  Can you explain/elaborate?  just sayin'... Smiley

I don't consider what Weird Al does to be desecration.  I think it's because with Weird Al, that's his thing.  That's what he does.  With Kid Rock... well he's usually more creative than that.  He usually doesn't sample other songs QUITE that blatantly.  And honestly All Summer Long is the only song of Kid Rock's I ACTIVELY hate.  Other than the aforementioned duet that I like, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about most of the rest of his material.  I don't dislike him or the rest of his music... Just the one song.  There are artists I like who have put out albums I absolutely loathe (ELP's Love Beach for example) so disliking one of Kid Rock's songs is no biggie (in comparison).  FWIW I felt the same way about Puff Daddy/P. Diddy's I'll Be Missing You as I feel about All Summer Long back when that song came out.  And I actually like P. Diddy... Not as a musician but as an actor.  He was HILARIOUS in Made and in Get Him To the Greek

LOL!!!  I HAVEN'T!!  I haven't even been able to STAND THE SMELL OF IT FOR 5 1/2 years...I don't pay particular attention to the commercials any more...LOL.
[/quote]

It's one of those really bad commercial ideas that for some reason people don't pick up on.  Back in the 90s it was Taco Bell (the pre-Chiahuhua days).  They had a "Run For the Border!" slogan that prompted a good friend of mine to ask, "Is that slogan more for the employees because INS has shown up looking for the illegals?!"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:00:59 pm by Perplexio » Report Spam   Logged
KATH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:01:46 pm »

Okay...I gotcha...HOWEVAH--

RE:  Weird Al--I don't get the "it's what he does/it's his thing"  thing. 

It's stupid; yeah, it's "his thing"--and it's SHAKESPEARE TO LITTLE BOYS...but Kid Rock doesn't make a living--and boatloads of money--MAKING FUN of someone's MUSIC with ignorant lyrics...ya know?  I'm sure they've paid the royalties and ****...I'm sure they both did.  So, then, Is there somethin' I'm not gettin' on this??  Maybe it's me...lemme know if I'm not pickin' up what you're layin' down, BROTHA...LOL.  I just think he's right up there with armpit farts...not funny and totally childish.   Undecided  Never liked him...I like the Madonna song because nobody got THAT song even after she EXPLAINED IT...so, hey...have at it.  heh.

KID's always sampled...so have a lotta people...if it wasn't for him, rap/rock/metal/country would've never REALLY crossed the way it did...and it's not cause he's from HERE.  I know when I first heard 'DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE', I couldn't BELIEVE it was Metallica in the background, and I thought THAT was COOL...

And Diddy IS HYSTERICAL even when he's tryin' to be a bad ass...he reminds me of CARLTON on Fresh Prince for some reason...LOL!! I couldn't tell you one song of his...so his act ain't playin' with me...he's a wimp with a bad street rep...big fuckin' whoop...like EMINEM...vanilla ice with raunchy lyrics.  heh.

okay...as Craig Ferguson says, "I WELCOME YOUR LETTERS."  LOL.
PEACE--Kath
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:03 pm »

One of the would-be MILFs at my parish picnic told me last year that "All Summer Long" was the greatest rock song of all-time! I told her it's actually two classic rock songs put together and she didn't realize it!  I think it's GARBAGE, but I do like that song "Care" that Kid did at the Jon Stewart rally a couple of weeks ago.  I believe it's on his new album, too.

Sheryl Crow -  I do NOT get this woman at all or her appeal other than she's smokin' hawt!  I KNOW that sounds sexist, but the woman rips EVERYONE off when she writes an "original."  "All I Wanna Do" is "Stuck In The Middle With You" with different lyrics.  I can't believe Gerry Rafferty didn't sue her for that one!  Now she's trying to reinvent herself as a soul singer on her new album, but she doesn't have the chops and the results are laughable.  It's like all those white guys who try to sound black by sounding constipated.  She does the old "yeah-ah-yeah-ee-yeah-ah-yeah" with every syllable.  That's not soul, that's just tasteless!  She was notorious for taking up with married guys, then expected everyone to feel sorry for her when Lance Armstrong dumped her....after she helped break up his marriage.  Again, I don't get her.  My sister in law, a person I really respect and a great keys/vocalist thinks Crow is the most talented woman in pop music.  Maybe it's me....

Weird Al just plain bites IMHO, but I don't know anything.  I don't get him and he annoys the crap out of me.  My kids love him.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:53 pm »

Sheryl Crow -  I do NOT get this woman at all or her appeal other than she's smokin' hawt!  I KNOW that sounds sexist, but the woman rips EVERYONE off when she writes an "original."  "All I Wanna Do" is "Stuck In The Middle With You" with different lyrics.  I can't believe Gerry Rafferty didn't sue her for that one!  Now she's trying to reinvent herself as a soul singer on her new album, but she doesn't have the chops and the results are laughable.  It's like all those white guys who try to sound black by sounding constipated.  She does the old "yeah-ah-yeah-ee-yeah-ah-yeah" with every syllable.  That's not soul, that's just tasteless!  She was notorious for taking up with married guys, then expected everyone to feel sorry for her when Lance Armstrong dumped her....after she helped break up his marriage.  Again, I don't get her.  My sister in law, a person I really respect and a great keys/vocalist thinks Crow is the most talented woman in pop music.  Maybe it's me....

A little background on Sheryl Crow and why I have no respect for her.  Back in the early 90s keyboardist/producer Patrick Leonard teamed up with an up-and-coming young talent, Kevin Gilbert, to form Toy Matinee.  They released 1 album before having a falling out before they even had a chance to tour to support the album.  Gilbert formed a band to perform live as Toy Matinee.  Included in that band on guitar was Marc Bonilla (who would later team up with Danny Seraphine in California Transit Authority) and keyboardist/background vocalist, Sheryl Crow. 

Gilbert & Crow became friends (possibly more, honestly I'm not sure how close they were) and were part of a group of musicians/songwriters who would get together on Tuesday nights to jam and right songs, The Tuesday Night Music Club.  Crow and Gilbert inevitably had a falling out.  It is believed by many fans of Kevin Gilbert that he had more than a passing influence in the songs that appeared on Crow's debut album, Tuesday Night Music Club but the closest Crow came to giving him credit was a brief note in her "thank yous" in the liner notes.  If you listen to the lyrics on Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club and compare them to the Gilbert penned lyrics on the Toy Matinee album or even on Kevin Gilbert's 1995 solo album, Thud you might find the claims of plagiarism on the part of Crow deserve more than a passing shrug or offhand dismissal.

Sadly Kevin Gilbert was found dead on May 17, 1996 at the age of 29, a week before he was scheduled to fly to England to audition with Genesis to replace Phil Collins.  He was a fan of old school Genesis and had hoped to return Genesis to their Peter Gabriel era prog-rock roots.  He had even performed Genesis The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in its entirety with his band at Progfest 1994. 

After Gilbert's passing Crow wrote the song Sad Sad World about Gilbert's passing a posthumous making amends to her old friend.  Gilbert had more talent in his pinky than Crow has in her entire body.
Report Spam   Logged
Saxman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:05:50 am »

Doesn't surprise me one bit about Crow.  In addition, all she ever did up until his death is make fun of Michael Jackson, who gave her a big lift career-wise by hiring her as a background touring vocalist.  This enabled her to meet important contacts in the music industry.  Yes, the entire Jackson clan is messed up big time, but being beaten up by your father every day will do that to you!  I digress.  The last track on Crow's new "soul album" is a cover of The Jackson Five's "I'll Be There," which she dedicates to her "dear friend Michael Jackson."  In interviews promoting the album, she's gone on and on praising him and what a huge influence he was on her career and musical education.  If that's not a self-serving hypocrite, I don't know what is.
Report Spam   Logged
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:03:43 am »

Here are the lyrics to Crow's song for Kevin Gilbert.  I love the lyrics.  It's sad to think that it took his passing to inspire some halfway decent lyrics out of her that she wasn't copping from someone else (at least not to my knowledge):

Sad Sad World

I know you hate me, I see that now
If I was unhappy, I'd be someone you could still care about
I think it's stupid and sad that everything turned out so bad
Enemies make the most interesting friends

I'm gonna write you a long letter
I'm gonna give you a telephone
Three little words to make it all better
Maybe I'll leave this whole thing out

It's a sad sad world without you in it
And I'm a bad bad girl for lettin' you down
I remember every crazy minute
But it's a sad sad world without you around

We're too much alike for our own good
We both hate fighting no matter how misunderstood
But I wanna tell you that you're stubborn
I wanna tell you I never lied
And I wanna tell you that your friends talk way too much
And I wanna know what happened to that friend of mine

Oh it's a sad sad world without you in it
I was a bad bad girl for lettin' you down
And I remember every crazy minute
Oh it's a sad sad world without you around

Oh it's a sad sad world without you in it
And I'm a bad bad girl for lettin' you down
I remember every **** up minute
Oh it's a sad sad world without you around

I'm not necessarily a fan of the tone, but I think I like the song because there's an emotional honesty to it that seems missing in much of Crow's other material.  Right or wrong it does come across as how Crow actually feels as opposed to coming across as her channeling the feelings of others and faking an emotional conviction or connection to the material.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum