"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
March 28, 2024, 05:09:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gotye - Like Drawing Blood (2006)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gotye - Like Drawing Blood (2006)  (Read 1921 times)
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

Normally electronica is not a musical genre I pay much attention to.  Other than my forays into the solo work of former Dream Theater keyboardist, Kevin Moore, under the Chroma Key moniker I've given electronica a rather wide berth.  That's not to say I dislike electronica more that it's never really been on my radar.

I was recently introduced to Gotye by the husband/wife musical blogging duo YourZenMine who were generous enough to send me Gotye's 2006 album, Like Drawing Blood.  Given Wally De Backer's rather transient nature, the story behind the recording of the album reads like lost chapters from John Birmingham's He Died With a Felafel In His Hand- as the album was recorded in various Melbourne bedrooms between 2003 and 2005. 

Gotye (pronounced go-ti-yay, like you would pronounce the French "Gaultier") is Belgian born, Australian bred Wally De Backer and while somewhat unknown here in the United States, De Backer is an ARIA award winning singer-songwriter who derives his music (self-admittedly) about 99% from sampling. 

Like Drawing Blood is a delightful lo-fi album with a decidedly indie feel that is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.  De Backer's voice is very listenable and well suited to his music.  The mastering however is purely brilliant and betrays the lo-fi nature of the recording of the album giving this lo-fi gem a well polished hi-fi feel.

There's an ambience to the music that feels perfect for long relaxed drives with the windows down.  While the CD is still only available as an import here in the United States it is available for download from Amazon's mp3 store for a very reasonable $6.99.  The album is well worth such a reasonable price tag.  Given its accessibility and pop sensibilities I'd argue that this is the perfect "gateway" album to either introduce new listeners to electronica or to win over listeners who in the past have been rather apathetic to the genre. 

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

YourZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »

We're very pleased to read this and find you like it, mate.  It always feels good to pass on something new to someone.  Wally is about to release his next album here.  Will let you know what its like when we get it.

YourZ
Report Spam   Logged

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.  ~Confucius
Perplexio
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:43 am »

We're very pleased to read this and find you like it, mate.  It always feels good to pass on something new to someone.  Wally is about to release his next album here.  Will let you know what its like when we get it.

YourZ

If it's as good as Like Drawing Blood I plan on getting it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum