"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture" - Frank Zappa or Elvis Costello
Dancing About Architecture
January 21, 2022, 08:49:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Favorite albums of the 'aughts (2000-2010)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite albums of the 'aughts (2000-2010)  (Read 1385 times)
YourZ

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:52:40 pm »

I find exercises like this really difficult as I'm pretty damned flighty - I like something a lot for a while then I move on to the next shiny thing that catches my attention.  So the list I have below is, if anything, dynamic.  If I was asked next week to formulate a similar list, it would almost certainly be different to this one.  I'm going to limit this to a dozen because if I don't, I'll be here all day.

1. Gorillaz - self titled (2001) - it set a standard for genre-bending hip hop, world music and good fun.  Damon Albarn can honestly do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

2. Black Keys - Attack & Release (2008) - I never grow tired of listening to this album - a new blues gem.

3. Dan Kelly & The Alpha Males - Drowning In The Fountain Of Youth (2006) - this Australian singer/songwriter is nephew to Australian music icon Paul Kelly.  Dan writes sharply pointed songs of modern angst, injected with a wry sense of humour and large doses of rock.

4. Them Crooked Vultures (2009) - self titled - Its Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Jean-Paul Jones and it rocks harder than all three of other bands put together.  

5. Jack White - the reason I put the man instead of albums is simply because I couldn't choose between his various projects.  Nothing he does is ****, as far as I'm concerned, from playing guitar and singing in The White Stripes and The Raconteurs to playing drums in The Dead Weather.  All his work is on high rotation on my playlist and has been for some years.

6. M. Ward - Hold Time (2009) - I believe M. Ward will be one of those artists people will reference in 20 years time as being one of the greatest of our time.  I enjoyed this album so much, I went out and brought his back catalog and none of it disappoints.

7. Tom Waits - Real Gone (2004) - Tom Waits has more music in his little finger than most have in their whole body.  This album merely continues to prove it.  

8. The Sleepy Jackson - Lovers (2003) - Debut release of an Australian act that is actually a vehicle for musical madman Luke Steele, who has since conquered the world with his latest band, Empire Of The Sun.  Only hints at the future, but what incredile hints.

9. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2002) - The Lips masterpiece of psychedelically giant proportions.  They also provided one of the best live experiences I've ever had.

10. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not (2006) - Alex Turner and co came out of nowhere with astute, incisive blasts of rock reminiscent of everything good about English music - The Who, The Jam, The Clash and The Kinks.

11. N.E.R.D. - In Search Of... (2002) - Pharrell Williams shows Will I Am, Andre 3000 and everyone else what really good soul, rnb and hip hop should sound like.  Eight years has not dulled this in the slightest.

12. Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus (2005) - With 5 albums in the last ten years, it was a difficult decision for me to pick which of these I thought was the best.  If you know Clutch, you'll know they're never disappointing.
Report Spam   Logged

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.  ~Confucius

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum